Executive Director, Brand Communications
Medicine AdministrationDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Executive Director, Brand Communications fosters effective communication between the College of Medicine – Tucson (COM-T) and its students, employees, alumni, and the public in order to advance the College’s strategic vision and increase its competitive advantage. Reporting to the dean and serving on the college’s senior leadership team, the position is responsible for the strategic and operational direction of all communication, marketing and stakeholder relations initiatives across the College’s tripartite mission (education, research and patient care) and foundational support areas (diversity, equity and inclusion; faculty affairs; human resources; business and finance; information technology and philanthropy). The position collaborates and works closely with the University of Arizona Health Sciences (UAHS) Associate Vice President and his team, COM-T department chairs, center directors and communicators, the University Office of Communication, and Banner University Medicine communications leaders, to identify and execute aligned content opportunities to extend resources and increase overall awareness, engagement and support for COM-T.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work‐life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
• Lead the development of a branding plan and oversee the alignment of all COM-T marketing, messaging and communications.
• Continuously evaluate the current state of the COM-T brand and, together with COM-T senior leadership, develop, implement and maintain a sustainable vision and plan to achieve the future state of the brand in a way that increases the visibility of COM-T and promotes the college’s reputation.
• Develop and maintain branding guidelines for the college, consistent with the University of Arizona (UArizona) and UAHS standards, and ensure these are applied appropriately.
• Ensure alignment of internal and external communications for all mission areas and platforms.
• Ensure alignment of COM-T communications with UAHS and UArizona communications.
• Develop and implement an innovative and sustainable web presence.
• Oversee the development and implementation of an internal and external communications process which includes all college-level announcements, dean’s messages and communications, including major presentations, speeches, proposals, publications, fact sheets, talking points, press releases, and ongoing electronic updates of relevance to the community.
• Manage communication efforts, develop relationships and interact with local, regional and national news media; proactively pitch and secure media placements; monitor the media and measure outcomes; and coordinate content activities and crisis communications efforts.
• Respond strategically to general media inquiries with appropriate statements and information. Research requested information and develop responses in coordination with main campus, Health Sciences colleges and partners, and subject matter experts.
• Provide marketing leadership to the College that establishes a vision and executes a personalized, streamlined, and effective digital engagement strategy that maximizes multiple channels and platforms (college website, email, Handshake, social, university systems, etc.) to influence student, faculty, and employer behavior.
• Develop concepts and write/edit copy of marketing and communications material for electronic platforms, including the website, social media, digital publications, and videos.
• Oversee the creation and production of print and video collateral.
• Build a successful team and organizational culture that embraces multidisciplinary innovation.
• Supervise a team of multi-disciplinary communications professionals to produce and deliver high quality written and video content.
• Oversee the creation and maintenance of a database of subject matter experts and their topics of expertise.
• Provide expert advice on issues management to senior leadership and play a key role in crisis communications.
• Provide leadership, guidance, coaching and development of staff to enhance functional and leadership skills and expertise within a diverse community.
• Evaluate staff performance, plan trainings and development, and make recruitment and pay recommendations.
• Manage operational budget(s) for communications, marketing, events, and stakeholder relations.Minimum Qualifications:
- A Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum of 9 years of related work experience, including 5 years of managerial experience, or equivalent combination of
education and work experience.
- Experience leading a team, project, program, or function.
• Master's degree preferred.• Direct experience in a marketing and/or communications role, preferably at an executive level.• Experience working with leadership in a higher education, health care or nonprofit organization required; experience in academic medicine preferred.• Demonstrated ability to produce marketing communications materials and complete projects on time and within budget.• Excellent oral and written communications, organizational, and interpersonal skills.• Ability to effectively communicate and professionally interact with all COM-T stakeholders.• Demonstrated ability to supervise professional staff responsible for producing written and visual content across digital, social and traditional media platforms. • Experience planning, developing, directing, implementing, and evaluating strategic brand communications plans.• Ability to meet tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously, while managing competing priorities.• Experience with videoconferencing software, especially Zoom, Webex, Teams, and recording and posting videos on internet hosting services with audio, video equipment, phones, and computers.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Communication and MarketingBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Grade:
13Career Stream and Level:
Communications & MarketingType of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Jerie Schulz [email protected]Open Date:
2/10/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Resume, Cover Letter, and One Additional DocumentSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Provide an impactful writing sample that best demonstrates your communication skills.Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.