Multimedia Development & User Experience Librarian
Job no: 494273
Work type: Faculty
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Academic Programs, Library
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
Supports the University’s mission of providing student-centered, quality education and is committed to the success of our students and the university. The Boise State University librarians are academic faculty working in pursuit of the University goals for teaching, research, and service. Albertsons Library leads in developing partnerships to: Connect to resources, tools, and expertise any time anywhere; Create, experiment, explore, and innovate to solve problems; and Cultivate diverse knowledge and skills for life-long success.Position Overview:
- Albertsons Library seeks an innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented individual to fill the position of Multimedia Development & User Experience Librarian. Situated within the Instruction and Research Services Unit, the individual in this position will work with colleagues from across the library to develop instructional materials that engage students and facilitate learning. Alongside the Library’s Instructional Designer and other librarians, this librarian will support a library-wide instruction program grounded in the ACRL Framework and the University learning outcomes. The ideal candidate will have an agile, flexible, and curious approach to developing instructional materials, a collaborative spirit and team orientation, and the ability to adapt to the changing library landscape.Albertsons Library has a vision to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay and do their best work. We strive to be the “vibrant nurturing hub of Boise State where people and diverse ideas flourish” (Vision). To reach this vision and ensure student success, we are committed to increasing our cultural competencies by creating a staff development program infused with inclusive excellence. Library employees are actively working to earn BUILD certificates (Boise State Uniting for Inclusion and Leadership in Diversity).The Library’s Instruction and Research Services unit strives to guide the University community in navigating the complex information world in order for them to discover the right information at the right time in the right context. To accomplish this goal, the Unit teaches in a variety of settings and formats, including but not limited to an embedded online first-year experience microcourse, liaison instruction within the disciplines, and one-on-one research consultations.
An Assistant Professor is a member of the ranked faculty with an intermediate-level academic rank who has demonstrated excellence in librarianship and support of the teaching, research, and learning mission of Boise State University through the effective practice of librarianship; a commitment to librarianship through scholarship that will include publication, and may include creative, research and scholarship.Essential Functions:
- Create online resources for the library-wide instruction program.
- Analyze user experiences with instructional materials and recommend changes to improve student engagement and learning.
- Collaborate with community college library colleagues to support transitioning students’ information literacy needs.
- Support and train librarians in the development of instructional resources.
- Assess, identify, and address the accessibility needs of library users.
- Offer instruction, research consultations, and outreach services to students, faculty, and staff.
- Provide user support at the Library’s ASK unified service area.
- Serve as library liaison to one or more academic departments.
- Participate in the Library’s Instruction Team and other Library/University committees as needed.
- Pursue research and scholarship activities in accordance with Albertsons Library and Boise State University’s Tenure and Promotion Guidelines.
- Work collectively on an ongoing basis to build and maintain a community that understands, celebrates, and values diversity, and expects and fosters inclusivity at all levels
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Demonstrated service orientation and focus on user experience.
- Excellent technical writing and communication skills.
- Ability to transition quickly and effectively between face-to-face and online teaching environments.
- Ability to work successfully, both independently and collaboratively, in a collegial environment.
- Capacity to work effectively with diverse groups and to create an environment of mutual respect.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library or Information Science.
- Experience designing and delivering instructional content and public services in university or community college libraries.
- Experience in the formal evaluation of instruction and public service user experience in university or community college libraries.
- Experience evaluating and adapting instructional materials to enhance the user experience.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative analysis of student work.
- Experience writing reports and providing recommendations based on student learning evaluation.
- Familiarity or experience with accessibility standards as they relate to learning.
- Experience with Canvas or another learning management system.
- Experience providing service to a wide array of users in person and remotely.
- Interest in current and emerging technologies that support in-person and online teaching and learning.
Salary starts at $50,000 depending on experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.Required Application Materials:
Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest and qualifications for this position. Attach a CV that includes employment history (including dates of employment) and three references. Minimum and preferred qualifications should be addressed in the candidate’s cover letter.
Advertised: February 09, 2021
Applications close: March 29, 2021