Part-Time Instructor, Highway Construction Math & Blueprint-Corporate College
Job Title: Part-Time Instructor, Highway Construction Math & Blueprint-Corporate College
Location: LSC-System Office UP
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 34368
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-System Office-University Park
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of six colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-System Office employees are based at one of two System Office locations; The Woodlands and University Park. Both are the site for multiple administrative departments and system-wide training programs.
Location address is 20515 SH 249 (SH 249 and Louetta Road) Houston, Texas 77070-2607.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
It is the responsibility of Instructors to provide the learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of the course objectives and contribute to the educational environment of the college and the community. Primary responsibilities are to plan, develop and teach courses within the subject matter in a manner that facilitates student learning.
In partnership with our clients, you will be the direct key to creating a successful outcome in the education of our clients' employee populations in learning new construction math and blueprint reading skills as indicated below.
Part-time CC Instructors are hired in a part-time capacity on a semester-by-semester basis, contingent upon the needs of the College. Lone Star College accepts applications year-round from qualified applicants willing to teach on a part-time basis. Part-time Instructor hiring is based on student demand. We offer day, evening, and weekend classes at various times and locations during the academic year.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teaches Construction Highway Math and Blueprint Reading courses at a variety of times and locations using related materials to support training objectives Submits any required college reports and forms in a timely mannerDevelops and/or follows a course syllabus for each courseMeets with and advises students either before or after class or by appointment, electronic communication, or other appropriate methodsReviews course content and objectivesConducts training sessions and provides feedback for evaluating the effectiveness of training activitiesEvaluates students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives and informs students in a timely manner of their progressMaintains professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the communityAttends meetings, trainings, and orientations if required
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate fluently (verbal and written) in Spanish and English
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Ability to work with Corporate College staff and plant personnel to meet varying training schedule and course feedback
- Must have excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills; must have problem-solving ability
- Ability to communicate, understand and meet needs of less technical customers
- Mastery of course content
- Must demonstrate instructional skills
- Ability to manage complex projects demonstrating a high degree of judgment, tact and discretion
- Skilled in Windows environment with basic proficiency with common office software (word processing, spreadsheets)
- Ability to use effective strategies to engage students in their learning
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE & CONDITIONS:
- PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office, classroom or lab environment with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High school diploma and at least 5 years of verified, paid work experience in industry as a Construction Highway Math and Blueprint Reading specialist.
- Must be bi-lingual in Latin American Spanish and English.
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Technical math
- Blueprint and/or schematic reading
- Precision measurement
- Occupational and equipment safety
- Significant hands-on and classroom training experience in area(s) of expertise (examples listed
- Experience in adapting training techniques to students of both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Associate’s degree or higher in a related field
$43.75 per contact hour.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan, professional development opportunities and more.Special Instructions All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.