Director of Technology
What We’re Looking For
The Director of Technology provides vision, leadership, and management of technology systems and services to support the mission and goals of the Hankamer School of Business and the University. The position will make all technology purchases or direct the technology purchases for the entire Business School as all capital funds are centralized within the Technology Center Budget. The impact of this position will extend to the entire Business School, affecting technology in offices, classrooms, common areas, and specialized spaces.
The Technology Director of Hankamer School of Business will also serve as a part of the Academic Technology Directors, contributing to the collaborative work of the group across campus. This position will be involved in technology-related policies in consultation with the Assistant Dean and Dean of the Business School.
This position has six direct reports including Manager of Network Services, Senior Academic Consultant, Senior Web Developer and Analyst, Manager of Technology Support Services, Computer Communications Technician, and Help Desk Consultant. The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree and seven years of direct experience in IT and leadership are required. A Master’s degree and ten years of direct experience are preferred.
- Ability to set a tone of leadership that is collaborative and transparent, and which effectively utilizes data-driven decision making.
- Experience supervising and leading a team as both a direct and indirect supervisor.
- Proficient with personal computers, computer systems (hardware/software), networks, and operations of information technology.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new software, platforms, and hardware as the technology evolves.
- Strong technical/computer skills, good analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an understanding of the different needs of our faculty, students, and visitors.
- Ability to set priorities in order to perform and manage workload involving a large number of interruptions and sensitive matters.
- Accurately estimates timelines and meets deadlines.
- Ability to investigate all viable options and make timely and good decisions.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving.
- Experience with budget management.
Preference will be given to those with experience working in an academic setting.
What You Will Do
- Oversee operations of technology services in the School of Business, ensuring that systems meet the needs of the departments and administration by working with the Assistant Dean and ITS directors to develop technology plans for the School of Business, including considerations for disaster recovery and security.
- Prepares detailed project plans including objectives, resources, time scale, tasks, organization, and deliverables.
- Assigns personnel to projects to develop and maintain information services.
- Monitors individual projects and conducts reviews, resolving problems when necessary.
- Directs and assigns Technology Center personnel in response to technical problems, evaluates the performance of the Technology Center and its personnel, and establishes methods and measurements to ensure the quality and quantity of technology resources provided to the School of Business.
- Consults with faculty/staff regarding technology needs for research, teaching, and administrative productivity, developing solutions to meet the needs consistent with the mission and objectives of HSB.
- In collaboration with the Assistant Dean, develops technology budget for the Business School and manages the technology budget for the school.
- Purchases hardware and software for HSB and maintains an inventory of hardware, software, and licenses.
- Participates in troubleshooting network and computer issues for all computers in HSB, including classroom technology support, faculty/staff helpline support, and support for specialized systems.
- Investigates emerging technologies to determine their suitability for instructional and research use, providing leadership for the evaluation, adoption, and integration of appropriate new technologies.
- Serves as the liaison for the Hankamer School of Business with individuals across campus, especially administrative personnel in Information Technology Services.
To apply or view the full position description, please click the job posting link.
The Baylor Experience
Working at Baylor is so much more than simply having a job! As part of the Baylor family, employees not only receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, generous time off, and fantastic automatic retirement contributions*, they also get to experience Baylor.
- Experience the culture of working for an institution consistently ranked as a “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Experience a mission driven organization based on a strong Christian commitment www.baylor.edu.about)
- Experience Baylor academics with outstanding tuition remission for staff and qualified dependents*
- Experience our beautiful campus with access to libraries, museums, and recreational facilities such as our fitness center, athletic courts, an indoor swimming pool, and the Baylor marina to name a few
- Experience our great dining facilities and enjoy an employee discount
- Experience Baylor athletics with reduced admission or free access to athletic events
- Experience Baylor through many more wonderful events and programs that take place on campus each year
*For more details and eligibility requirements, please visit www.baylor.edu/hr
Learn more about great opportunities to connect and be a part of our local community in Baylor’s Waco Culture Guide!
Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, consistently listed with highest honors among The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For.” Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continuously operating university in Texas. The university provides a vibrant campus community for over 16,000 students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Baylor is actively recruiting staff who support our mission as we pursue our bold vision, Illuminate.
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, pregnancy status, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion among its selection criteria. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.