Professor of Science, Technology, and African StudiesLOCATION
Social Science & Policy StudiesDIVISION NAME
Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
This position in Science, Technology and African Studies is open to full professors or those eligible for promotion to full professor. They will teach at the graduate and undergraduate level, at the nexus of science, technology, and society, in areas such as health, energy, and/or the environment. In addition, some content courses in African Studies are required. We are looking for applicants with combined social science and engineering/technical backgrounds. In addition, we seek a strong background in the intersection between indigenous knowledges and engineering, engineering studies, and technology, that relates to WPI's approach that emphasizes theory, practice, and project based learning. A focus on Sub Saharan Africa is desired.
The successful candidate will participate in undergraduate and graduate research related to their specific expertise. They will collaborate with researchers in the Development Design Lab and the Institute of Science and Technology for Development (InSTeD). We seek a theoretically informed scholar who has strong interest in taking their ideas from theory to practice in Southern Africa.JOB DESCRIPTION
The Professor of Science, Technology, and African Society will:
- Teach courses and seminars as assigned;
- Advise undergraduate student research projects;
- Supervise Master and PhD student theses/dissertations;
- Design and revise the curriculum in collaboration with other faculty;
- Participate in initiatives conducted by the SSPS Department and InSTeD;
- Develop a research and project center with strong ties in Southern Africa;
- Advise graduate and undergraduate students in Social Science and Policy Studies and related programs;
- Assume the role of Associate Director of the Institute of Science and Technology for Development (InSTeD).
DEADLINEPlease submit cv, statement of research, statement of teaching, and list of publications by January 29, 2021FLSA STATUS
- PhD in history, sociology, anthropology, geography, or related field
- Outstanding record of publication and projects focused on science and technology studies, with an expertise in Africa
- Outstanding record of teaching and research
- Satisfaction of WPI's criteria for Full Professor
United States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
To apply, visit: https://wpi.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/WPI_External_Career_Site/job/Worcester/Professor-of-Science--Technology--and-African-Studies_R0001215
WPI is a vibrant, active, and diverse community of extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty, and state of the art research facilities. At WPI, we have competitive and comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
Diversity & Inclusion at WPI
WPI is committed to creating an inclusive workplace where everyone feels valued and respected; a place where every student, faculty and staff member can be themselves, so that they can study, live, and work comfortably, to reach their full potential, and make meaningful contributions in order to meet departmental and institutional goals. WPI thrives on innovative practice and welcomes diverse perspectives, insight, and people from diverse lived experiences, to enhance the community environment and propel the institution to the next level in a competitive, global marketplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency