Adjunct Pool: Political Science
Adjunct Pool: Political Science
Salary: $52.94 - $66.34 Hourly
Job Number: 2020070142
Closing: 6/30/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Merced, CA
Department: Political Science - Area 5
Open pool for academic year 2020-2021
additional compensation for doctorate
Merced College is a midsized community college located in California's Central Valley. Founded in 1962, the college serves more than 16,000 students with room to expand on its 267 acre main campus and 120 acre Los Banos site. Merced, incorporated in 1889, offers historical sites, affordable housing, access to the Bay Area and Sacramento, and is the Gateway to Yosemite National Park and the Sierra mountains as well as home to the University of California Merced campus. Our tree-shaded, growing community of just over 80,000 includes multiple biking and walking trails as well as access to several lakes - large and small - throughout the county.
Merced College Vision
Merced College will provide transformative and empowering educational experiences to meet student and community needs.
Merced College Mission
Growing our community through education and workforce training:
- lifelong learning
- basic skills
- career technical education
- degree/certificate programs
This is a part-time instructional assignment in the Social Science Cohort at Merced College under the general direction of the Dean of Social Science and Fine & Performing Arts. The professor could be assigned to teach a variety of courses of political science courses. The maximum teaching load is 10 units per semester, which may include evening hours.
Examples of Duties
- Provide instruction in accordance with established course outlines and expectations
- Inform students about course requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance policy
- Maintain required student attendance and scholastic records
- Prepare and grade class assignments and examinations
- Post and maintain regular office hours in accordance with prevailing policy
- Participate in the development and review of curriculum
- Participate in the development of teaching-learning methods and materials
- Participate in departmental, area and campus professional activities/committees
- Participate in the college's learning outcomes assessment program, including course, program, and institutional assessments
- Perform tasks needed for student records, e.g., submit grades on time to admissions and records
- Master's in political science, government, or international relations
- Bachelor's in any of the preceding AND master's in economics, history, public administration, social science, sociology, any ethnic studies, JD or LL.B.
- The equivalent.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students
- Minimum of one year of community college teaching experience in political science
- Current technology skills related to teaching in the discipline and a willingness to pursue future technological developments
How to Apply:
Candidates will submit a complete application on the Merced College Career Pages at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/promotionaljobs.
- Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
- List three professional references
- Legible unofficial college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate). Transcripts must include the degree major and date the institution granted the degree. Official copies are not required unless applicant is hired.
- Foreign transcripts must include a U.S. evaluation and translation. http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl635.pdf (Download PDF reader)
- Diversity Statement: Provide a statement about yourself that specifically demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community at large. Your response is limited to one (1) page.
- OPTIONAL: Equivalency Review Form, if applicable. (Required for applicants who do not possess the stated minimum educational qualifications and are seeking consideration on the basis of equivalency) http://www.mccd.edu/offices/hr/jobs/eqforms.html
No documents other than those required and listed above will be accepted for this recruitment. Please do not submit additional materials.
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed highly qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee which includes a teaching demonstration on a selected topic. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, all interviews will be scheduled via Zoom till further notice. Candidates are required to ensure access to the necessary technology to participate in a Zoom interview.
Employee Benefits: Sick leave, faculty employed on a part-time hourly basis shall earn sick leave credit at the rate of one (1) hour for each twenty (20) hours of paid service.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be fingerprinted and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. Merced College does not sponsor visas. An applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
To apply, visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/mccd/jobs/2807104/adjunct-pool-political-science
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency