Career Services Coordinator
Job Title: Career Services Coordinator
Location: Savannah State Recruiting Loc
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 223502
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college or university in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university’s students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
Career Services & Leadership Development Center
The SSU Career Services & Leadership Development (CSLD) Center provides SSU students and alumni a platform for personal and leadership development, career explorations, and professional networking to help SSU Tigers transform their degree into the career of their dreams.Location
Our campus is located at 3219 College Street, Savannah, GA 31404Job Summary The Career Services Coordinator will work in the Career Services and Leadership Development (CSLD) Center and will report to the center Director. The Career Services Coordinator will assist students and alumni with career advisement, resume updates, interview preparation, employment searches, and professional development. The Career Services Coordinator will also manage the SSU Handshake portal and assist students to prepare for the professional workplace.Responsibilities
- Assist students in identifying their career goals and selecting the associated degree program early in their enrollment into the university.Conduct outreach programs in classrooms, with student organizations, and other campus offices to connect students to the CSLD Center resources. Assist students with personal development, personal and professional goal setting, and writing a personal statement.Assist students in creating their professional portfolio.Maintain a library and archive of sources for academic, personal, and professional development resources for students and alumni.Assist students with searching and applying for scholarships.Assist students in their professional preparation for internships and job searches.Review resumes, cover letters, applications, and explaining job offers and benefits agreements.Administer personality, profile, and leadership inventories and behavioral assessments.Assist students with special needs, identifying the needed resources to successfully navigate the job search process.Coordinate communications with students and alumni through marketing campaigns via email, social media, webpage, and other mediums.Assist students in exploring and applying for graduate studies opportunities.Assist with the planning and implementation of career fairs and special programs.
- Must exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Candidates must be an active listener with the ability to assist students of all backgrounds and abilities.
- Must have superior interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity.
- Ability to research and quickly develop knowledge of employer recruiting strategies, job market trends, occupational, career and personal growth.
- Proficiency with MS Windows environment including word processing, knowledge or database programs.
- Must be a self-starter and possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team.
- Ability to respect confidentiality and ethical boundaries with regard to guidelines, supervision and professional consultation within the Student Development division.
- Ability to respond professionally to common inquires and/or complaints from students, staff, employers or community at large, regarding career programming and technology.
- Coursework or experience in workforce development, counseling, or professional development
Please attach the following:
- Cover letter
- Letter of reference
- List of references (3)
- Transcripts from all earned degrees
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah Stare University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at [email protected] Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected]