Lead Student Account Specialist
Job no: 498905
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 7 - CSUEU - Clerical and Administrative Support Services, Student Services, Probationary, Full Time
Reporting to the University Bursar, the Lead Student Account Specialist is responsible for the collection of debts owed to the university by students, former students, vendors, or outside agencies in the Bursar’s Office. Working independently under general supervision, the Lead provides work direction and training to the Student Account Specialists. Assists with the collection of PeopleSoft aging accounts, Perkins, Dream, and Kuhlman Loans. Oversees the FTB process, Perkins Loan portfolio, ensures account write-offs are completed on a timely basis, coordinates the ECSI Dream Loans prom notes and advances, and reconciles third party agency statements. Resolves elevated student issues and assists with providing outstanding customer service.
- Resolve delinquent Perkins Loans, Dream Loans, Kuhlman Loans, and Aged Receivables.
- Refer accounts to the Third Party Collection agencies.
- Refer uncollectible accounts either for write-off or assignment to the Department of Education.
- Send past due messages and/or letters to current/past students.
- Serve as back-up to the Student Account Specialist positions.
- Reconcile collection agency statements.
- Prepare monthly AR and loan collection reports for Management.
- Oversee the ECSI loan monthly loan reports to ensure timely completion.
- Coordinate the FTB process.
- Oversee the collection of the Perkins COHORT portfolio.
- Oversee the collection of delinquent Sponsor accounts.
- Oversee the write-off of aged receivables and delinquent loans.
- Assist with the assignment of Perkins loans to the Department of Education.
- Oversee the ECSI loan processes of prom notes, advances and separations.
- Communicates with students, external organizations, and other outside vendors to resolve delinquent debt.
- Resolve elevated AR and loan issues.
- Performs collection activities with a focus on customer needs, provides quality standards for services, and strives to exceed the customer’s expectations.
- Review emergency loan, Gwen Wright and Social Work Field Work loan applications.
- Assist with Bursar phones, in-person, and email as needed
- Oversee the loan exit process for graduating seniors.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports.
- Ability to lead others individually and as a team.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment, handle multiple work priorities, and organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to determine appropriate courses of action and proper techniques with highly sensitive and complex matters.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Ability to quickly learn and maintain an expert understanding of functionality in PeopleSoft SIS modules and the Student Loan System.
- Ability to make sound decisions that reflect good judgment.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to cope with stress in an appropriate manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be dependable and available to work overtime, possibly on Saturdays, during registration and peak periods
- Equivalent to three years of increasingly responsible financial record-keep experience, including two years in collections, lending or a related area or any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- PeopleSoft Student Financials experience
- 2-3 years of collection experience
- 2 plus years of higher education experience
Classification: Collections Representative II
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $4,300/month - $4,500/month
Hiring Range: $3,091/month - $5,593/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: February 1, 2021 through February 17, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: February 01, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled