Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellow
Title:Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellow Job Category:Academic Professional Description:
Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellow
University of Illinois System - Chicago
The University System Office seeks two Visiting Technology Commercialization Fellows. This fellowship opportunity combines science, legal and business training toward a new career in technology commercialization and marketing. The appointment is for one calendar year and is renewable for a second year depending on incumbent's performance.
The UIC OTM mission is to encourage innovation, enhance research, and facilitate economic development through the transfer of intellectual property. OTM is responsible for marketing, negotiating agreements, promoting the research and development of UIC intellectual property, and the patenting and licensing of UIC technologies. The experience of an OTM Technology Commercialization Fellowship should prepare the Fellow for business development and investment positions within industry, financial entities, or non-profits - as well as university, industry, or government technology transfer offices.
Additional responsibilities include:
1. Perform literature and related art searches for new technology disclosures.
2. Perform preliminary market and industry analysis for the applications of new technologies.
3. Conduct thorough market research of emerging technologies including market potential, size, competition, and trends.
4. Conduct interviews with inventors to clarify technology disclosure details including market applications, stage of development, future interest in development, and potential licensees
5. Develop creative and descriptive marketing materials to attract licensees or commercial partners, and generate leads for technologies; Create lists of potential licensees and their contact information.
6. Develop and present technology screening reports to OTM staff, faculty or others in review sessions and meetings.
7. Provide subject matter expertise advice to the office on core competencies for incumbents with medical or professional experience.
8. Travel to regional meetings/conferences for technology marketing and partnership lead generation and professional development.Qualifications:
Candidates must possess:
1. Advanced degree in life sciences, Medicine, Chemical Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacy, Applied Health, Public Health, Dentistry or related life science education. (Preferred: PhD, Doctor of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharm D, JD with life science background, MBA with Doctorate in relevant science. Foreign professional degrees are acceptable.)
2. Minimum of 6 months relevant experience.
Other required qualifications include:
1. Excellent analytical, writing and speaking skills.
2. Experience and/or background in the life sciences or demonstrate equivalent relevant skills.
Other preferred qualifications include:
1. Previous employment in health care, medical device companies, pharmaceuticals or law, business, venture capital or equity, or public health.
2. Patent law and/or MBA or other business training (e.g. coursework or internship).
3. Internship experience in consulting companies, Venture Capital or equity firms or analytics intensive jobs.
These are two full-time, 12-month Academic Professional positions. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by March 19, 2021 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The System Office conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899
System Human Resource Services
The System Office is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.Close Date:03/19/2021