ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST, Environmental Health & Safety Tracking Code9494 Job Description
The position of Environmental Specialist is responsible for assisting the Associate Director of Environmental Management in the ongoing management of the environmental programs at Boston University (BU) and Boston Medical Center (BMC).
The duties include:
- providing for the safe and compliant management of radioactive waste
- Conducting audits of environmental programs across all departments to assess compliance with institutional, local, state and federal regulations.
- Inspecting oil tanks, chemical storage areas, water treatment systems, generators, refrigeration units and many other environmentally-sensitive operations which must be monitored to avoid incidents and potential fines.
Bachelor's degree preferred and 1-3 years experience. Valid Drivers License. Basic digital literacy including Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. OSHA Hazwoper 40 hour Certificate.
Ability to respond to emergencies on campus during off hours, including weekends and holidays as part of the on-call emergency response team. Ability to work both independently and in a team environment, excellent written & oral communication skills. Passion to work with different organizations within the academic community as well as outside regulatory agencies.
Must have or acquire the 24 or 40-hour OSHA hazardous waste operations and emergency response training.
This position requires completion of a pre-placement physical questionnaire, on-site physical, medical surveillance, and criminal background check.
Physical duties include:
- Lift up to 70 lbs
- Vision, and auditory requirement within normal parameters
- Walking and Standing: 2-4 hours at one time & 6-8 hours per day
- Bending and Twisting Neck & Back: 2-4 hours at one time & 6-8 hours per day
- Squatting & Kneeling: < than .5 hour at a time & < than 1 hour per day
- Pushing/Pulling: Both Hands: < than .5 hour at a time & 2-4hour per day Change To- 2-4 Hours at one time and 4-8 hours per day.
- Repetitive Hand Movement with Simple Grasping: 2-4 hours at one time & 6-8 hours per day
- Repetitive Hand Movement with Power Grasping:< than .5 hour at a time & 1-2 hours per day
- Fine Manipulation: 1 Hand: < than .5 hour at a time & < than 1 hour per day
- Reaching above/below shoulder height: 2-4 hrs at one time & 4-6 hours per day
- Reaching/Trunk Rotation above shoulder height: 2-4 hrs at one time & 4-6 hours per day
This position is eligible for Boston University's generous benefits package including health, dental, life insurance, tuition remission, paid time off, and so much more!
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular