Coordinator of Admissions & Student Affairs, Optometry and Vision Science (4574U) 14876
Coordinator of Admissions & Student Affairs, Optometry and Vision Science (4574U) 14876 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: 2/10/2021
At Berkeley Optometry, we have long lived by guiding principles that define and differentiate us. As part of a world-renowned university that embraces excellence and access, we foster an environment of trust and mutual respect, free expression and inquiry, and personal resilience and achievement. We are strongly committed to diversity, respect for cultural differences, and promotion of social justice. These principles serve us daily in our reasoning and actions and aid us in our decision making.The mission of the School is executed by approximately 20 ladder-rank faculty, 8 emeriti faculty, 133 full and part time clinical faculty, 70 staff, 30 professional researchers, 20 graduate students and 26 visiting faculty and postdoctoral research scholars. The staff includes professional, health care, technical, research, and clerical representation and provide support to a complex array of functions.
We educate an estimated 320 students annually. Our O.D. program is a 4 year program with clinical training provided at 2 campus clinics, 10 satellite clinics (community care), 7 VA clinics, and 24 external clinics across the country. Our one-year post-graduate residency programs provide advanced clinical education in specialty areas of optometry to 18 residents with placement on and off campus and our Vision Science program consists of 40 PhD students.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs, the Coordinator of Admissions & Student Affairs, Optometry and Vision Science, works with prospective and current optometry (to include Residents) and vision science students and is a resource for preliminary admissions information for entry into all three programs. He/she is also involved with job functions related to current students and Residents, such as registration, course scheduling, posting optometry and vision science awards, and room scheduling.
Key responsibilities include:
- Respond to telephone, mail, and email inquiries regarding the optometry and vision science programs.
- Provide excellent customer service to walk-in; prospective students.
- Under the guidance of the Assist. Directors of Admissions, process applications to the OD program through WebAdmit and Residency and Vision Science applications through Slate.
- Provide support in the processing of applications includes data entry, followup with applicants via e-mail and phone, filing, review of transcripts, credentials and evaluate prerequisite coursework. Manage respective applicant databases. Track and coordinate Sexual Violence/Sexual Harassment training, both inperson and online.
- Track and maintain incoming student records, including final transcripts, prerequisite coursework and background checks.
- Coordinate recruitment schedules for traveling ASAO staff.
- Attend recruitment events/fairs/information sessions as needed.
Advising and Academic Progress
- Provide information to current students on a wide array of student matters ranging from new student services, awards and scholarships, financial aid, registration and scheduling, graduation and optometric licensure requirements.
- Keep current on and maintain knowledge of campus administrative policies a nd procedures. Share knowledge with faculty, students and staff when needed. Monitor academic progress. Track grades and calculate GPAs. Refer cases to Academic Advisory Committee (AAC) and prepare materials for meetings. Attend AAC meetings as the Recorder and provide input. Update the Student Affairs optometry database to reflect current semester GPAs and students' academic status.
- Support in the planning and implementation of all events pertaining to Vision Science and Optometry. May be called upon to lead events as needed.
Academic Scheduling and Registration
- Manage the batch registration process for fall, spring and summer sessions for all students.
- Enroll students in all their classes.
- Create data files for SIS programmers. Work with faculty in scheduling freshman and sophomore vision science seminars.
- Set enrollment reservations and process waitlists for freshman and sophomore seminars. Generate data reports as requested. Assist students in petitions to change course schedules, adds/drops, grade changes. Serve as a scheduler for both Optometry and Vision Science classes for fall, spring and summer sessions.
- Maintain listservs and class rosters. Process requests for general assignment classrooms. Create and maintain internal class schedule per semester. Keep track of curriculum changes based on recommendations by both the Associate Dean for Student Affairs and the Vision Science Chair.
- Post optometry and vision science awards. Oversee room scheduling.
- Provide verifications for credentialing services.
- Update and edit website content under the ASAO's purview.
- Provide data to the Assistant Dean for annual reports as needed. Assist the Assistant Dean in processing of event and expense reports and purchase orders.
- Other administrative duties as needed. Provide backup support to ASAO team members as needed.
Campus and External Relations
- Network with centralized offices on campus in an effort to provide students with greater access to information and resources.
- Take classes/workshops that will enhance expertise in professional areas of interest and enhance current work environment. Participate in University service activities.
- Proficiency with SIS applications.
- Proficiency with Windows applications, Adobe, and FileMaker Pro.
- Ability to use tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies Ability to work with diverse populations.
- Skills in judgment and decision making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
- Ability in problem identification, reasoning.
- Ability to develop original ideas to solve problems and not deterred by ambiguity. Ability to be resourceful, creative, innovative, and flexible.
- Ability to multitask in a fastpaced department, work under multiple deadlines, and have the ability to prioritize workflow in a logical/liner manner to meet strict and important deadlines.
- Excellent active listening skills. Ability to give and receive objective behavioral feedback.
- Outstanding communication skills, including written, oral, one on one and group.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Bachelors degree or combination of education/experience.
- Valid California driver's license, and transportation.
- Some evening and weekend work required. Some overnight travel may be required.
- Able to lift up to 15lbs.
- Experience working in Higher Education
- Experience working in a professional school setting
- Knowledge of University specific computer application programs
Salary & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14876&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency