Professor of Practice, Director of Clinical Training
Posting #: 2980
Position Status: Faculty, Full-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Faculty, School of Leadership and Education Sciences
Professor of Practice, Director of Clinical Training; School of Leadership and Education SciencesPosting #
The Department of Counseling & Marital and Family Therapy and USD have a strong commitment to diversity and global education. Faculty candidates should be committed to working with diverse students, populations, and interested in fostering community engagement at the local, national, and global levels. The department has developed strong collaborative relationships with local schools and districts, hospitals, nonprofits and clinics to provide an array of practicum and fieldwork sites. In addition, all graduate students are required to participate in at least one global education experience prior to graduation.Detailed Description:
The Department of Counseling & Marital and Family Therapy in the School of Leadership and Education Sciences at the University of San Diego seeks a dynamic, energetic, and skilled educator to serve as Professor of Practice/Director of Clinical Training.
The Professor of Practice/ Director of Clinical Training will serve as a faculty member in the Department of Counseling & Marital and Family Therapy. They will be expected to teach six units per semester in the Marital and Family Therapy Program. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to student advising, admissions, curriculum assessment/development, and general departmental and university service. Preference will be given to candidates who can teach basic and advanced courses in the MFT program. The successful candidate will: contribute to the department’s mission of providing outstanding teaching, research, and service; have an appreciation of diverse constituencies and add to the department’s commitment to diversity; have the ability to collaborate productively with students and faculty at USD; and have strong oral and written communication skills, and effective interpersonal skills.
The position of Professor of Practice/Director of Clinical Training also leads, manages, and coordinates the credential field placement experience for the School Counseling program and the practicum placement experience for Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Marital and Family Therapy Programs. The position requires strong administrative and mentoring skills. The incumbent must be able to collaborate with administration, faculty, school district personnel, recruit and manage supervisors, ensure integrity in assessment and evaluation of Counseling and Marital & Family Therapy candidates, and maintain active communication with and pay regular visits to schools and practicum sites where Counseling and Marital & Family Therapy candidates are placed. They must create and deepen partnerships and engage in outreach at the university, district, community, and school level. Specifically, they will:
- Work with the Credential Analyst to ensure that Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) credential candidates complete state-mandated requirements prior to participating in K-12 environments.
- Ensure student placements meet all requirements of the CACREP/COAMFTE/CTC standards, BBS License requirements, and address discrepancies/issues working in close collaboration with candidates, schools, districts, faculty, clinics, agencies, hospitals, and supervisors.
- Collect, analyze, and report evaluation data required for quality assurance system.
- Support the placement and monitoring of field placement and practicum students.
- Work directly with the Program Directors, Department Chair, and consult with Department Faculty to coordinate field experience placements for students.
- Plan and facilitate regular training with supervisors to ensure fidelity with program expectations and department goals.
Work with the Department Faculty and Academic Program Manager to develop and maintain handbooks and informational and assessment materials that are responsive to course and program demands as well as feedback from candidates and our placement partners.
Specific Responsibilities: Include teaching two courses each semester. Teaching includes practicum, fieldwork supervision, or online course facilitation; Individual and group student advising regarding practicum placements and career paths; Train supervisors to conduct student evaluation protocol; Contributions to university, school, and departmental service including program outreach, student orientation, admissions reviews and interviews, and other activities to be determined; and attendance at program, departmental, and SOLES meetings.
Rank: The Professor of Practice/Director of Clinical Training is a nine-month position in order to provide ample time to build and maintain strong relationships with local school districts and schools, clinics, hospitals, and agencies in an atmosphere of collegiality, respect, and shared goals. This collaboration, we believe, will ultimately provide our COUN and MFT candidates with an educationally rewarding experience, optimal learning, and supervision. The position is a non-tenure track and renewable on an annual basis for three years, contingent on department need and satisfactory performance.Job Requirements:
- Terminal degree in a mental health discipline with preference for training in Counselor Education or Marital and Family Therapy
- Licensed or licensed eligible Professional Clinical Counselor, Licensed Marital and Family Therapist, or credentialed School Counselor.
- Familiarity with California Credentialing and licensing regulations.
- Familiarity with CACREP and COAMFTE Accreditation Standards
- Strong background and knowledge of clinical practice
- Higher education teaching experience with strong evaluations from students and peers.
- Strong interpersonal skills; must have the ability to work collaboratively with people at multiple levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize, manage and interpret data
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, all applicants should submit:
- Letter of interest
- Current CV
- A specific statement regarding teaching/clinical experience and philosophy
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: January 27, 2021 Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled