Business Advisor, 10,000 Small Businesses Grant
Business Advisor, 10,000 Small Businesses GrantRequisition Number:
The Business Advisor (BA) for the grant-funded Goldman Sachs Ten Thousand Small Business Program at Community College of Philadelphia provides structured business, guidance, advising, and mentoring support to program participants (“scholars”), as well as supporting the 10KSB team in all program and grant deliverables. Business Advisors participate in the Babson created curriculum program modules working with the Education Services Director, and participate in relevant program training. S/he works with scholars to assist in the development of their growth plans and helps them complete the program. The BA connects scholars to external business support services. S/he connects and networks with local and national partners to ensure successful outcomes for scholars and for the Philadelphia site. The BA participates in outreach, program scholar recruitment, program visibility, the applicant review process, alumni engagement, and Program reports, and other requested deliverables from the funder.
This is a temporary, grant-funded position. Employment is based on the continuation of grant funding,Specific Responsibilities:
• Meets with scholars on an individual basis at least 6-8 times per program cohort (target of approximately 1.5 – 2 hours per meeting) to guide business growth with the final meeting (Post Mod 9) dedicated to quality control of the growth plan; makes site visits to scholars’ business when appropriate. Note: Advisors are required to make site visits to scholars’ place of business when appropriate or conduct weekly sessions in place of visits.
• Works with scholars to understand, collect, and apply business metrics to support growth.
• Provides workshops and clinics to applicants and scholars.
• Brings appropriate business practitioner-oriented expertise to the program.
• Helps scholars translate course content and relates learning to their specific business.
• Leads bi-weekly planning sessions to support scholar business growth.
• Participates in aspects of program scholar recruitment, selection, and coaching.
• Reviews scholar applications as part of the admission process.
• Connects with the local and national partners as guided by the Executive Director and Education Services Director.
• In collaboration with other 10KSB staff participates in scholar recruitment, including attending events and helping to organize and pitch program content.
• Reviews accepted scholar data (applications and baseline assessment tools) to understand scholars’ individualized needs, as well as the needs of assigned growth groups, and the overall cohort.
• Connects scholars to external business support services as needed for specialty services.
• Works with the program team to support the measurement and evaluation of data collection.
• Creates scholar profiles as part of the onboarding process.
• Guides scholars about how to use a Business Advisor appropriately (preparation, discussion and debrief, and follow-up).
• Assists within the classroom to coordinate group activities, support faculty, and assign growth groups. The BA facilitates the growth groups for remote cohorts.
• Attend all modules, clinics, and program events to support scholar learning.
• In collaboration with the Business Support/Alumni Manager, manages and reports weekly on the progress of the scholars in completing their growth plans as the cohort evolves.
• In collaboration with the team participates in the assessment of the program through team debriefing and review process.
• Participates in broader entrepreneurship activities, events, and networking with other business support service organizations to enhance the local entrepreneurship ecosystem, to advance program recruitment, and elevate the College’s role in serving as a catalyst for small business growth.
• Works closely with all units of the WEI team, and other parts of the College to highlight the College’s role in entrepreneurship activities, business support and growth in the City and region.
• Other duties as needed to support program success and grant deliverables.Minimum Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree required. Any and all degrees must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.
• Minimum five (5) years of direct experience in demonstrated experience in small business ownership, entrepreneurship, or engagement, and demonstrated experience in understanding functional areas of business operations, including small business finance.
• Ability to work collaboratively with internal and external constituents required.
• Strong oral and written communication skills are required.
• Successful experience in working on a team is required.
• Strong computer skills, including knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel required.
• Works in a collaborative and supportive manner within the classroom and in advising sessions to help the scholars complete the program and program deliverables.
• Understands and values the importance of metrics through measurement and evaluation activities.
• An understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college staff and students required.Preferred Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in the business-related area preferred.
• Master’s degree in business or related area is preferred.
• Demonstrated experience as a business advisor, consultant, coach, or mentor is preferred.
• Knowledge and understanding of the comprehensive community college mission is preferred.
• Knowledgeable of the broad tristate small business, economic development, and entrepreneurial community are preferred.
• Familiarity with the 10KSB program and Babson designed curriculum preferred.Work Location:
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on February 16, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.Salary Grade or Rank:
Salary commensurate with relevant experienceJob Posting Open Date:
01/26/2021Type of Position:
Administrator - TempEmployment Status :