STRAT COMM CONSULTANT SR #00064615
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 35427
Hiring Department Marketing and Communications Application DeadlineOpen Until Filled Full Time/Part TimeFull Time, benefit eligible Salary$53,600-$60,000/annuallyJob Description
Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) is looking for an exceptional communicator for the position of Senior Strategic Communications Consultant to work with leadership within the College of Arts, Sciences, and Business (CASB) as part of a central Marketing and Communications team. This position requires strong writing and storytelling skills, a collaborative mindset, the ability to influence others, political savvy, an enterprising outlook, and good doses of creativity, humor and positivity.
This position reports to the director of strategic communications in the Marketing and Communications Department, with dotted-line reporting to the dean or an associate dean of the college. The position works closely with other staff within Marketing and Communications to achieve the college’s strategic goals, and in particular in close partnership with the primary user experience/user interface designer for the college.
Goals and Responsibilities
The person in this position will be responsible for collaboratively developing comprehensive college-level marketing and communications strategies in partnership with fellow marketing and communications staff and in collaboration with administrators, staff and faculty in the college. This will involve:
- Developing effective external relations for the college in collaboration with the central marketing and communications
- Advising the dean, associate deans, and department chairs on communications strategies and outreach
- Coordinating with development and alumni relations staff on alumni and donor relations communications and marketing
- Developing written content for marketing materials that support the college’s marketing and visibility goals, including print and digital communications materials, such as news releases, print and electronic newsletters, and website content
- Developing content for and managing college-level social media channels
- Providing expertise and assistance to other staff within the college and departments who are responsible for communications tasks, such as providing content for web, social media, newsletters, etc.
- Positioning the dean, associate deans, department chairs and other college faculty as thought leaders and influencers to enhance the university’s visibility and influence
- Ensuring consistent messaging, brand identity and achievement of marketing goals between the college and the university at large
- Along with the UX/UI designer, attending college-level meetings as co-liaison between the college and the marketing and communications department
- Coordinating with UX/UI designer on user experience with CASB website
Tasks for CASB
- News and feature writing on behalf of CASB, including press releases and website articles, with a heavy emphasis on writing about research.
- Marketing materials for CASB.
- Posting and monitoring CASB social media channels (Facebook, Twitter).
- CASB internal communications (dean’s internal newsletter).
- Strategic communications initiatives for the college.
- Assist with departmental newsletters (advise on content, edit copy, recommend stories, etc.)
- Maintain contact and strong relations with CASB leadership, including department chairs.
- Coordinate requests for print and digital marketing materials related to CASB and its academic departments.
- Write copy for CASB website and its academic departments.
- Coordinate college philanthropy/alumni communications needs with development.
About the Marketing and Communications Office
The Marketing and Communications office is divided into four teams – Creative Services, Engagement and Outreach, Strategic Communications, and Web and Interactive – and is led by a Chief Marketing and Communications Officer. Our mission is to build, manage and promote the brand experience to further our university’s mission and goals. The Senior Strategic Communications Consultant for CASB (and one for the College of Engineering and Computing) works on the Strategic Communications team.
- Five+ years of communications experience in support of an executive leader
- Experience in news writing especially in STEM topics
- Degree in journalism, marketing, communications or related field
- Expertise in social media and media relations especially from a strategic communications perspective
The final candidate is required to provide copies of official transcript(s) for any college degree(s) listed in application materials submitted. Copies of transcript(s) should be provided prior to the start of employment. In addition, the final candidate may be required to verify other credentials listed in application materials.
Failure to provide official transcript(s) or other required verification may result in the withdrawal of the job offer.
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
The University's nondiscrimination policy applies to any phase of its employment process, any phase of its admission or financial aid programs, or other aspects of its educational programs or activities. Further, this policy applies to sexual violence or sexual harassment, both forms of sex discrimination, occurring within the educational program and instances occurring outside of the educational program if the conduct negatively affects the victim’s educational experience or the overall campus environment.
Any person having inquiries concerning the application of Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 or other civil rights laws should contact the Title IX Coordinator.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: