The Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS) seeks an experienced Software Engineer at the IRIS Data Management Center (DMC) in Seattle, Washington. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated self-starter to be part of an internationally recognized seismological data center. Our facility is responsible for the archiving and dissemination of large-scale geophysical datasets to the geoscience research community.
This position will design and develop software that scientists and the public use to access seismological and other geophysical data at scale. In addition, this individual will be responsible for migrating applications to a cloud-native architecture. We offer competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, and a terrific work atmosphere.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
• Design and develop software systems for a cloud-agnostic, petabyte-scale data repository for time series and related geophysical data.
• Create solutions that provide efficient deployment and provisioning of service-oriented software in a containerized environment.
• Design and implement cloud-native workflows using well-known, open-source solutions.
• Support production software systems, documentation, and user feedback.
• Communicate with the seismic community to ensure a healthy partnership of data engineering serving scientific research.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• A four-year degree in Computer Science, Earth Science, or related technical field.
• Three (3) or more years of experience in software development with demonstrated achievement on projects implementing service-oriented architectures, containerized software solutions, and data engineering.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, and ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
• Hands-on experience with Linux operating systems and its shell languages.
• Demonstrated skills in Python and/or Java.
• Experience developing software backed by databases.
• Experience creating and deploying containers.
• Experience using container management frameworks such as Kubernetes.
• Experience with cloud vendor technologies a plus.
• Experience with software build and test automation.
• Knowledge of software lifecycle processes and software design methodologies.
• Expertise working with technical and scientific data a plus.
• Good communication skills with team members and end users.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume highlighting pertinent work experience by February 12th, 2021 to [email protected] with the subject line "IRIS Software Engineer". Please note: Candidates must be authorized to lawfully work in the United States to be considered.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the interview process will be conducted using a virtual platform for all meetings.
The IRIS Consortium has a membership of over 120 US universities dedicated to the operation of science facilities for the acquisition, management, and distribution of seismological data. For more information on IRIS, consult http://www.iris.edu.
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe a diverse staff makes us a stronger organization. IRIS is committed to hiring people of all ages, races, ethnicities, genders (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification), sexual orientation or gender identities, marital status, veteran status, religions and disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.