Executive Director of Academic Programs, School of Professional Studies
Job location: Charlotte, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-03
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
- Serve as the owner/general manager of the portfolio of academic programs for specific academic areas and sectors of the Charlotte economy
- Understand the customer (adult learners), the market, the opportunities and how to create success.
- Set the academic product and degrees vision, priorities, and execution strategy for the portfolio. Own the outcomes and effectively drive key performance indicators and growth goals.
- Possess a strong grasp of education market and products in Charlotte and beyond. Leverage employer partnerships and industry data to identify current and future workforce needs to evolve portfolio as needed.
- With a growth and innovation mindset, identify potential new degrees, courses, certifications, micro-degrees and professional development paths. Ensure existing programs maintain the highest quality and relevancy, addressing the needs of today's learner populations while meeting the feasibility and potential profitability expectations of SPS.
- Manage the program portfolio budget and fiscal obligations to optimize profitability.
- Oversee and ensure accreditation, program review, and other processes that are important for the continuous improvement of the programs in portfolio. Manage the School’s Academic Review Board to ensure high levels of excellence consistent with university’s academic values.
- Achieve and maintain awards and recognition for quality.
- Partner with other SPS teams to achieve best-in-class student experience and outcomes, and enrollment growth.
- Develop and grow partnerships with industry - including partnerships with key professional organizations and manage Executive Advisory Board(s) effectively.
- Collaborate with internal WFU academic units to source exceptional faculty talent that is needed for the program portfolio and to identify new program ideas that could be implemented collaboratively.
- Has a strong outcomes-based orientation (pushes self and helps others to achieve results) and has a continuous improvement mindset.
- Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change. Effectively handles risk. Can decide to act without the total picture. Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air. Deals constructively with problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes.
- Forms teams with appropriate and diverse mixes of styles, perspectives, and experience. Establishes common objectives and a shared mindset. Creates a feeling of belonging and strong team morale. Shares wins and rewards team efforts. Fosters open dialogue and collaboration among the team. Creates a team that works well cross-functionally.
- Learns quickly when facing new situations. Experiments to find new solutions. Takes on challenges of unfamiliar tasks. Extracts lessons-learned from failures and mistakes. Expands knowledge base through ongoing curiosity.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Master’s Degree in Business, Education or a related field, or the equivalent combination of training, education and experience plus seven or more years of related experience.
- Deep understanding of professional education market and customer segments.
- Proven ability to analyze data to identify trends and drive innovation.
- Proven success with financial management.
- Ability to be an agent of change in a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly matrixed organization with ability to organize and coordinate activities and results across cross-functional teams.
- Ability to collaborate with and manage teams, including those in a remote environment, while demonstrating excellence, integrity, and respect.
- Ability to build relationships and influence at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Doctorate in related field
- Hands on P&L experience.
- Background in change and process management.
- Experience in educational program development and management, particularly digitally delivered offerings.
- Go-to-market experience.
- Responsible for own work and the work of others.
- Budgetary responsibilities