Assistant Director of Counseling
What We’re Looking For
The Assistant Director of Counseling in the Student Financial Aid Office counsels and supports the customer service functions of the student financial aid office, as well as provide leadership to our financial aid counselors. This position reports to the Associate Director of Student Relations. In addition, the Assistant Director of Counseling will also counsel students and/or their parents regarding available financial aid programs, application procedures, and eligibility requirements. The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A Bachelor’s degree and three years of Financial Aid experience are required. A Master’s degree and five years of experience are preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to provide outstanding customer support services.
- Experience planning and organizing work, assigning and reviewing the work of others, and meeting schedules and timelines.
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, professionalism, and a customer service orientation
- Accurately estimates timelines and meets deadlines
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Quick thinker with superb attention to detail and organizational skills
- Proactive problem solver
- All employees are expected to fully support Baylor’s mission to educate men and women for worldwide leadership and service by integrating academic excellence and Christian commitment within a caring community. All employees of Baylor University are expected to fully support and contribute to the university’s mission.
What You Will Do
- Provide direction, training, and support to the Financial Aid Counselors to ensure accurate, timely financial aid award communication to students, families, and administrators.
- Direct and ensure counselors maintain the integrity of the financial aid programs and adhere to federal, state, and university regulations and guidelines in awarding aid
- Assist in counseling athletes and requiring that intercollegiate athletic programs maintain compliance with University policies and procedures, Big 12, NCAA rules, and regulations.
- Perform general counseling duties with primary emphasis on more complex cases.
- Counsel prospective students/parents at Recruiting events and Orientation on financial aid issues and questions. Act as a back-up presenter in absence of Associate Director.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Counseling including managing front lobby and counseling schedules.
- Directly supervise counselors in their general counseling duties and provide support for escalations and negotiations.
To apply or view the full position description, please click the job posting link.
The Baylor Experience
Working at Baylor is so much more than simply having a job! As part of the Baylor family, employees not only receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, generous time off, and fantastic automatic retirement contributions*, they also get to experience Baylor.
- Experience the culture of working for an institution consistently ranked as a “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Experience a mission driven organization based on a strong Christian commitment www.baylor.edu.about)
- Experience Baylor academics with outstanding tuition remission for staff and qualified dependents*
- Experience our beautiful campus with access to libraries, museums, and recreational facilities such as our fitness center, athletic courts, an indoor swimming pool, and the Baylor marina to name a few
- Experience our great dining facilities and enjoy an employee discount
- Experience Baylor athletics with reduced admission or free access to athletic events
- Experience Baylor through many more wonderful events and programs that take place on campus each year
*For more details and eligibility requirements, please visit www.baylor.edu/hr
Learn more about great opportunities to connect and be a part of our local community in Baylor’s Waco Culture Guide!
Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, consistently listed with highest honors among The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For.” Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continuously operating university in Texas. The university provides a vibrant campus community for over 16,000 students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Baylor is actively recruiting staff who support our mission as we pursue our bold vision, Illuminate.
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, pregnancy status, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion among its selection criteria. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.