Communications Officer - Part-Time
Communications Officer - Part-Time
Communications Officer - Part-Time Hourly Wage: $12.00 per hour Position Purpose
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Police, performs the following operations: Responsible for directing the activities of field personnel and providing patrol units with information upon which they may act. Assists the public, students, faculty and staff by giving directions, information and other aid as needed. Communicates effectively and professionally and can assume command of particular situations if no other authority is available.
- Coordinates radio communications between officers and the Hocking College Police Department through operation of the local component of the Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS), operates two-way radio and other teletype communication equipment and receives, transmits and responds to inquiries and requests (e.g., weather conditions, traffic violations, law enforcement, fire and EMS assistance) from general public, in-person and/or by telephone.
- Will be required to learn, be proficient with, and keep up to date on police systems to include:
- Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS)
- National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
- Computerized Criminal History (CCH) database for criminal record and background checks
- Law Enforcement Officer Toolkit (LEOT)
- Ohio Law Enforcement Gateway (OHLEG)
- NIXLE alert system
- Simplex alarm monitoring
- Public Safety Databases
- May be required to perform a pat-down or search of detainees at the direction of the Officer In Charge
Major Worker Characteristics
- Knowledge of rules and guidelines pertaining to Law Enforcement Automated Data Systems operations*; federal communications commission rules and regulations*; Ohio Revised Code applicable to operations carried out by the department, office practices, policies and procedures; safety practices; public relations; human relations; interviewing people for relevant information
- Skill in operation of LEADS computer system*, operation of teletype communication and two-way radio equipment; operation of office equipment (e.g. personal computer, photocopier, facsimile, multi-line telephone, calculator); typing; word processing.
- Ability to calculate fractions, percentages, and decimals; carry out, explain, interpret, coordinate and enforce existing intra-unit policies and procedures, deal with problems involving few variables within familiar context
- Work alone on most projects, with little or no supervision
- Apply principles to solve practical, everyday problems
- Handle sensitive telephone, radio and terminal inquiries
- Handle emergency situations with officers and staff
- Recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate action
- Maintain accurate records
- Gather, collate and classify information about data, people or items
- Trusted with Law Enforcement confidential case files, student information that is confidential under (FERPA) and police records which may be confidential and sensitive. Receives, records, and processes confidential information about criminal activity and personnel issues, which may be time-sensitive, in accordance with established protocols.
- Primary conditions will be in office and sedentary, though conditions could vary to include walking and being outside to perform duties
- Occasional exposure to criminals or other dangerous persons as well as victims
- May be required to lift and move equipment or materials weighing up to 25 lbs.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Police dispatch or secretarial experience, or training in law enforcement procedures preferred
- Ability to act in confidence regarding information learned on the job
- Ability to maintain continuity of department operations
- Experience with law enforcement computer software preferred
- Basic math skills
- Superior communications, customer service and public relations skills; in person, on the telephone and via written communications
- Typing and word processing skills
- Microsoft office software experience
- Organizational skills and ability to maintain a clean, functional workspace
- Ability to lift and move equipment or materials up to 25 lbs.
To apply, visit https://recruitingbypaycor.com/career/JobIntroduction.action?clientId=8a7883d072e8b0dc01734eb99aee3392&id=8a7885ac73a1ff770173b3ec42b33bf5&source=elephantjobs&lang=en
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency