Admissions Counselor (Undergraduate)
The admissions counselor will be responsible for successfully recruiting and enrolling students to Salem State University. To achieve these goals, the incumbent will review applications for undergraduate admission, conduct recruitment travel, as well as advise and counsel prospective students, guidance counselors, and other constituencies regarding the admission process and academic programs. The incumbent will be responsible for meeting individual and team enrollment goals.
Located just 15 miles north of Boston, Salem State University’s mission is to provide a high quality, student-centered education that prepares a diverse community of learners to contribute responsibly and creatively to a global society, and serve as a resource to advance the region's cultural, social and economic development. It is one of the largest state universities in Massachusetts Attracting, hiring and retaining a highly engaged workforce that reflects and supports the diversity of our student body are central to the importance of our work.
Salem State works to foster a university-wide culture of inclusion, accountability, collaboration, and stewardship and was selected as a recipient of the 2017 INSIGHT into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award for our commitment to diversity and inclusion across our campus.
Salem State strives to provide an experience where community members feel supported as they explore, learn, and celebrate their identities, similarities, and differences. Salem State’s employee resource groups provide a forum for staff to share common interests, concerns and support one another with the goal of advancing a respectful and caring community (Asian, Black, Family & Caregivers, Latinx, LGBTQ and Women’s ERG).
Please be advised, Salem State University and the APA union (this position is a member of this bargaining unit), have come to an agreement on a furlough program for fiscal year 2021. As such, APA and NUP (non-unit professional) employees will take up to one (1) week of furlough in FY21. Employees will work directly with their hiring managers to determine the timing of furlough weeks based on operational needs. Depending on the date of hire, furloughs may be reduced on a pro-rated basis. If you have questions about the furlough program, please contact the human resources department.
- Bachelor's degree
- One year of experience in higher education, or a closely related field
- Experience working both independently and as part of a team, in order to meet project and task deadlines
- Must have access to reliable transportation; must possess and maintain a valid driver's license and have appropriate auto insurance coverage throughout tenure as an admissions counselor
- Three years of experience in an admissions office
- Fluency in Spanish or another language
- Excellent public speaking, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Possess excellent technical skills with Internet applications, social media and Microsoft Office suite
- Strong critical decision-making ability and time management skills
- Knowledgeable of Salem State University's programs
- Knowledge of/experience with admissions processes in U.S. higher education; understanding of Salem State admissions practices a plus
- Experience with a CRM (TargetX/Salesforce) and/or PeopleSoft Student Information System
- Experience in the development of school counselor and community college counselor relationships
- Experience developing trainings or presentations for diverse populations
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. For accommodation information or requests please email [email protected]
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting and standing, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 10 pounds.
Willingness and ability to work evenings and weekends; travel required (annual travel is estimated at approximately 8-10 weeks per year).
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may come down at any time. Once a posting is removed, additional applications will not be accepted.