Adjunct Pool Math, Reading, & Writing Instructor
- Muskegon Community College
- Muskegon, Michigan, United States
- Faculty Jobs
- Arts & Humanities, English Literature & Composition, Engineering & Mathematics, Mathematics, Statistics
- Position Type
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Community College
Muskegon Community College, an associate degree-granting institution of higher education, is a center for lifelong learning which provides a person the opportunity to attain their educational goals by offering programs that respond to individual, community, and global needs. We are seeking qualified candidates for Adjunct Instructors.
The Adjunct Instructor Pools are for applicants who are interested in teaching in the future as an (part-time) adjunct instructor for one of our departments. The Instructor Pools are always open for applications. However, this does not mean that we have an immediate opening in the division. The Adjunct Instructor Pools function as a way for department chairs to view applicant materials in advance of a need, and determine if the applicant will be approved or not approved to be added to their pool of eligible applicants. Should a part-time instructional need arise in a given department, the department chair will look first at the approved applicants to see if anyone matches our needs, in which case they may make contact to schedule an interviewRequired Skills
Responsible for instruction and facilitating student learning; committed to student recruitment, retention and success; assessment of learning, development of curriculum and use of instructional delivery modes utilizing both traditional and non-traditional methodology.
- Math: Teaching developmental mathematics courses.
- English: English instruction in conference-led classes and the classroom.
- Reading: Includes Developmental & 100 Level Reading.
- College Success: Teaching College Success Seminar (CSS 100A) to help students develop the skills and abilities necessary to become successful college students
Minimum two years' professional experience in industry. Teaching experience at the college level; demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations representing a wide range of abilities, ages, nationalities and cultures; experience with instructional technology; knowledge of and demonstrated ability to implement innovative teaching strategies.
- Math: Master's Degree in Math or Education with an emphasis in Math
- English: Master's Degree in English
- Reading: Master's Degree in Reading
- College Success: Master's Degree (Education or Psychology preferred)
- Teach assigned course which may include day, night, and online courses, as well as at the main campus and extension centers. Classes are to meet on time for the full allotted time.
- Establish and promote an effective learning environment that maximize documented student learning.
- Prepare, submit and maintain reports related to student learning.
- Grading assignments in a meaningful way to promote continued student growth, returning graded assignments to students in a timely manner, and assigning final grades for all students, meeting or beating all institutional deadlines for completion.
- Provide educational assistance to students during regularly scheduled and posted times (i.e., office hours) or by appointment.
- Ensure student opinion surveys are conducted for each class and then reviewed after summary information available to assist with increasing student success.
- Maintain levels of professional knowledge and expertise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical, Mental, and Environment Requirements Include:
☒ Detailed Work ☒ Student Contact
☒ Deadline oriented ☒ Problem Situations
☒ Multiple Priorities & Demands ☒ Emergency Situations
☒ Confidentiality ☐ On-call Availability
☒ Continual Interruptions ☒ Working Alone
☒ Faculty Contact ☒ Working with Others
☐ Standing & Walking ☒ Sitting
☐ Lifting up to 10 lbs. ☒ Up to 25 lbs. ☐ Up to 50 lbs. ☐ 80 + lbs.
☐ Pushing, Pulling, Twisting, Bending ☐ Climb or Balance
☐ Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl ☐ Squatting
☐ Handle or Feel ☐ Reach with Hands and Arms
☒ Talking or hearing ☐ Tasting/Smelling
☐ Working Overhead ☒ Speak in English via Phone or In Person
☒ Close, Distance, Peripheral, and Color Vision along with Depth Perceptions
☒ Ability to Adjust and Focus
☐ Exposure to wet, humid conditions (non-weather), fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme heat/cold; and moderate to loud noise levels.
☒ Normal Office environment with little, if, any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like. Ability to travel to all campus locations required.Job LocationMuskegon, Michigan, United StatesPosition TypePart-Time
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert