LMT M&C Software Engineer
Job no: 507024
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Professional Staff Union (PSU), Research
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Develop and implement software for the monitor and control of the Large Millimeter Telescope (LMT) systems. Develop and implement software to integrate astronomical instruments, electromechanical systems, and sensor devices into the LMT monitor and control system. Develop inline documentation, user manuals, and cook books for the LMT monitor and control system.
- Works with the LMT Systems Manager on designing and implementing software for the monitor and control of the LMT.
- Identifies, analyzes, and tests existing software packages to determine their suitability for use on the system.
- Integrates and supports astronomical instruments, electromechanical systems, and sensor devices.
- Develops unit test plans and implements the corresponding software modules.
- Generates inline documentation for the LMT M&C system software.
- Generate and maintain user manuals and cook books for the LMT Monitor and Control system.
- Assists with maintaining the LMT computing and networking infrastructure.
- Maintains the LMT web server and databases.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
- Works collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Works in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field plus two years of relevant work experience. A Master's degree in Computer Science or Engineering may be substituted in lieu of work experience.
- Experience with Linux operating system.
- Experience with high level programming languages.
- Experience with computer/machine interfaces.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
Typical office environment.
This is a term limited position through September 2023. Continuation of position is dependent upon funding.
Mon-Fri 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit resume/CV, Cover Letter, and Diversity Statement (see below) by February 5, 2021 to ensure priority consideration. Position may remain open until filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations. In addition to application materials above, candidates will need to submit a Statement of Contribution to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The Diversity Statement should identify past experiences and future goals. These contributions may result from lived experiences, scholarships, and/or mentoring, teaching, and outreach activities.(https://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jan 22 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Mar 22 2021 Eastern Daylight Time