Postdoctoral Research Associate I
AnesthesiologyDepartment Website Link:
UAHS - TucsonAddress:
University of Arizona Health Sciences, Tucson, AZ 85724 USAPosition Highlights:
The Department of Anesthesiology at the Banner University Medical Center provides a full range of clinical service and education including Anesthesiology Residency and Fellowships. Clinical experience covers ambulatory, cardiothoracic, neurosurgical, obstetric, pediatric, trauma, transplantation and vascular surgery, as well as acute and chronic pain and critical care. Our clinical faculty, residents and nurse anesthetists cover operating rooms at Banner University Medical Center-Tucson, Banner University Medical Center-South, and Southern Arizona Veterans Administration Hospital.
One of our laboratories, led by Dr. De Souza, is in the Arizona Health Science Center at the University of Arizona and it is focused i) on the mechanisms that endow voltage sensitivity to ion channels expressed in the membranes of excitable cells and ii) on a technology under development in or laboratory that endows light sensitivity to the membrane potential of excitable cells in vivo. For these two hypothesis we use functional studies of ion channels, cells and tissues, as well as molecular detection/quantification with various modern methods. For performing research on these two projects, we are recruiting a Postdoctoral Researcher. Dr. De Souza actively collaborates with Dr. Andreia Chignalia, who leads a different lab in our Department.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, vision, and life insurance; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work- life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
Ourresearch programs are supported by the NIH and numerous private industrysources and cover coagulation medicine, clinical monitoring and engineering,anesthetic mechanisms, critical care medicine, end-of-life brain activity, thenature of consciousness, treatment for traumatic brain injury, obstetricalanesthesia and other areas producing peer-reviewed papers, national andinternational meeting presentations, and visiting professorships.
- Interest in working with ion channels of cell membranes.
- Interest in working with experimental animals (mice and/or rats) for in vivo and ex vivo approaches.
- Work in a semi-independent manner, showing initiative and creativity to solve problems related and in agreement with a position of Postdoc in a research lab.
- Share supervisory responsibilities for the research technical staff, graduate and undergraduate students.
- Work collaboratively with other members of De Souza and Chignalia research laboratories.
- Perform experiments related to the hypothesis described in the position summary described above.
- Write manuscripts for publications and contribute to grant writing.
- Present talks, posters and research findings at laboratory meetings, national and international conferences.
- Attend regular group meetings, manage maintain, and order laboratory equipment and supplies, and respond to administrative request and procedures.
- MD or PhD in Biophysics, Physiology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology, Bioengineering or related field.
- Proficient command of the English language, both spoken and written.
- Experience in contemporary techniques related to the job.
*Patch clamp for voltage clamp and current clamp, *Extracellular recordings of field potentials in nerve trunks, eyes and brain (and instrumentation for electrophysiology), *Cut-open oocytes voltage clamp technique, *Optics involved in fluorescence detection, fluorimetry, laser applications etc., *Molecular Biology (contemporary techniques), *Site-directed mutagenesis, *Gene cloning (basics), * Heterologous expression of membrane proteins, *Small surgeries and related techniques in rodents.FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Type of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
3/7/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Joao De Souza, DVM, PhD | [email protected]Open Date:
1/22/2021Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV) and Cover LetterSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution and a Native American/Alaska Native-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.