Executive Director, Sales and Business Development
As a key member of the Commonwealth Medicine executive leadership team, the Executive Director of Sales and Business Development is responsible for working across the enterprise to establish a collaborative sales approach to drive new business development efforts, identify opportunities based on market demand, research and development of new product lines for CWM business units and support the business lines in development of comprehensive pricing models for new and renewal opportunities. Oversee and direct Sales Operations, Relationship Management and Marketing & Communications functions. Develop contemporary branding and sales strategies that reflect CWMs commitment to service excellence and being a trusted advisor to our clients’.Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Managing Directors and Solution leaders, drive business development opportunities toward “right to win” which will strengthen the market presence, visibility, quality and financial performance of Commonwealth Medicine.
- Conducts market research to identify demand for existing CWM services with focus on out of state business; identify new services to be considered for development based on market demand.
- Ensure research and development activities identify new market opportunities, innovate product lines, are representative of current demand and respect historical facts and trends; Develop market intelligence, business intelligence and competitive intelligence research.
- Provide expert consultation and assistance services in preparing competitive responses to solicitations and similar business opportunities requiring the preparation of competitive cost responses. Develop a “go”/”no-go” framework and decision matrix that drives our business developers and solution leaders to quick decision and identifies new growth enabling advisory consultancy opportunities.
- Transform CWMs sales and business development processes to a collaborative selling approach model, develop proactive prospecting and sales strategies to support sales penetration goals and expand upon CWMs presence within existing client engagements.
- In partnership with the senior management team and leaders from Commonwealth Medicine, develop robust, detailed business plans for new business opportunities, including detailed plans for staffing, operations, financial investments, marketing and sales, and risks factors and mitigation.
- Provide operational analysis to support Commonwealth Medicine in developing appropriate rate structures for business opportunities including but not limited to managed care, provider networks, governmental reimbursement, regulatory compliance and complex health care systems.
- Develop a robust analytics capability to research and assess market demand and to drive development of high-demand services. Collaborate with finance and corporate strategy advisor to assure that pricing strategies and contract mechanisms for new and existing service lines are sufficient to ensure profitability.
- Analyze business propositions, prepare assessments and implications and offer creative alternatives based upon findings, ensuring that the respective resources and talents of Commonwealth Medicine are integrated to form the most competitive organizational response. Where appropriate, identify suitable strategic partners to engage in the development and delivery of new services.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate and synthesize the multiple variables affecting growth and improvement opportunities, including payment/reimbursement trends, emerging technology, regulatory issues and the capacity to deliver best in class services and products.
- Help set the organizational context in which the mission of the system can be translated into valuable services and programs, especially considering the critical challenges confronting health care today.
- Provide leadership for the strategic plan growth pillar, engaging stakeholders from across the organization to develop and execute a sustainable plan for organizational growth.
- Direct a cross functional team that includes relationship management, business development, marketing and communications and sales operations functions to success
- Design and implement a quality control process which ensures that all sales, marketing, intranet, CWM website and customer facing materials undergo rigorous checks and balances, utilize CWMs templates and branding materials and professional artifacts prior to distribution.
- Reengineer current sales operations processes ensuring progressive use of technology, comprehensive and complete data in Salesforce and contract databases and development of a data driven and collaborative processes to support informed decision making.
- Establish robust five-year growth strategy which includes progressive revenue and margin targets, diversification of revenue and business solutions, elimination of underperforming product lines and responsive to customer expectations; measure monthly, quarterly and annual progress towards strategic goals through KPIs and metrics.
- Coach, mentor and train business developers and solution leaders on collaborative selling methods, strategies and skills; develop consistent processes for sales and business development to ensure maximum efficiency, timeliness and customer satisfaction throughout our sales prospecting cycle.
- Establish a high performing sales culture that respects Commonwealth Medicine’s mission and values, aligns with our customers’ needs, is inclusive of solution leaders and SMEs and supports the achievement of the organization’s revenue and margin goals.
Master’s Degree or equivalent in health care administration, business administration or related discipline.
REQUIRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
10 + years in sales and business development, of progressively responsible executive experience in complex, consultancy, with exposure to government and/or other payer settings being highly desirable
Leadership experience at the highest level of an organization relative to financial modeling and pricing is essential
Consulting experience in business development, with a track record of creativity, entrepreneurialism and service line development would also be considered
Experience working with external groups, including planning agencies, regulatory authorities and others to advance the proposals of the organization
Knowledge of current trends and strategies in medical service delivery, including collaboration, partnering options and shared participation in the growth and prosperity of the organization
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE:
Experience with financial modeling/pricing for consultancy engagements
Proficiency in pharmacy benefit management, LTSS, correctional health, healthcare policy in a state environment
Ability to articulate and demonstrate commitment to the philosophy, values mission and vision of UMass Medical School and Commonwealth Medicine.
Ability to innovate to develop solutions and appropriate messaging to clients.
Strong presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively to senior leaders; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Ability to adapt to demand creators and market quickly.
Ability to qualify opportunities and engage appropriate senior leaders for follow-up conversations as needed.
Run a disciplined sales pipeline including lead management and qualification.
Ability to develop new and leverage existing relationships.
Ability to act with diplomacy in dealing with individuals of all levels in a complex academic/medical institution (or similar environment).
Ability to maintain discretion when dealing with confidential information.