Full Stack Programmer - College of Education, Curriculum & Instruction (141059)
Visiting Full Stack Programmer
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
College of Education
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Faculty in the College of Education at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are seeking to hire a Visiting Full Stack Programmer to design, develop, and implement applications for two research initiatives focused on technology enhanced learning:
- SimSnap (Orchestrating Collaborative Learning in Biology through Reconfigurable Simulations) is a newly funded NSF-project that will investigate how interactive, connectable, and reconfigurable tablet simulations can help students collaboratively learn about biology and ecological systems. Duties will include working with the different teams to design and implement web-based student and teacher tablet applications that will connect, interact, and share data with the simulation, and across students and the whole class. The job will include working with the research team to develop and implement learning analytics and educational data mining approaches to research collaborative learning and real-time orchestration of class activities. 50% of the position’s time will be given to this project.
- TIER-ED (Technology Innovations in Educational Research and Design) is a campus-wide research community for supporting interdisciplinary work on the development of novel learning technologies. One of the main projects within TIER-ED is an online forum for supporting professional mentorship called CoMEIn (Community for Mentorship and Exchange of Information). Duties on this project will include developing the online community for peer-mentoring and mentorship groups and improve the discussion platform based on user feedback. Other TIER-ED responsibilities, depending on candidate interests and experience, include working with researchers to develop novel data collection and machine learning approaches for analyzing user click-stream, voice, and multimodal (gaze, gesture, movement in the room, etc.) data to support real-time classroom or informal learning research. 50% of the position’s time will be allocated to TIER-ED.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics, or a related field.
- 3 years of development experience.
- Prior experience conducting/working on research.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience and/or additional training in the Sciences, Engineering, or in Education/Learning Sciences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- HTML, CSS
- WebRTC; Node.js
- Git / GitHub.
- Preferred Technical Skills: Composer for PHP; UX, user-interface design, human-computer interaction experience; Data visualization experience; Understanding of machine learning/learning analytics approaches (e.g., NLP, sentiment analysis, etc.); MVC framework, LESS, Laravel framework; Interests in technologies for learning and online community building; An interest in developing/learning about emerging technologies, frameworks, data collection systems etc. (e.g., Augmented Reality, Arduino or other physical computing/sensor systems, Kinect or other spatial/body tracking systems).
This is a full-time, visiting academic professional, grant supported, 12-month position subject to the continued availability of funding and programmatic need. Position may become a regular, non-visiting position at a later date depending on funding and programmatic need. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
To apply, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three professional references by February 19, 2021. For full consideration, candidates must complete the HireTouch application process by the above date. For further information please contact Tabassum Amina at [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit “Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.” As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Education Category:6-Research Title:Full Stack Programmer - College of Education, Curriculum & Instruction (141059) Open Date:01/22/2021 Close Date:02/19/2021 Organization Name:Curriculum and Instruction