Part-Time Staff Assistant I, Library Services
Job Title: Part-Time Staff Assistant I, Library Services
Location: LSC-Houston North Greenspoint
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 34269
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Houston North Greenspoint
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
LSC-Houston North Greenspoint is a state-of-the-art, full-service location designed to serve the greater Greenspoint area. Its proximity to local businesses and public transportation has created a location ideal for working and non-traditional students. The facility offers a selection of day, evening and weekend credit courses, including university-transfer courses, certificates, computer/office skills, and developmental studies.
The location address is 250 N. Sam Houston Pkwy E., Houston, TX 77060.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:The PT Staff Assistant I supports staff, faculty, administration and students by performing task-oriented duties while providing clerical, analytical, administrative, and/or operational support. He or She greets faculty, staff, students and the public and directs visitors to the proper location.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Monitor in-office faculty grade checkout materials, uploading syllabi and vitae in iSTAR, and maintain organizational charts for accuracyMonitor inventory of office/general supplies that are needed for staff and full-time faculty. Distribute markers and board erasers to faculty and maintain inventory. Monitor and keep two faculty workrooms stocked with suppliesProvide administrative support to Dean, DOM and division using various MS Office softwareProvide photocopying, scanning, emailing, filing, and submitting service requests to FacilitiesServe as receptionist on the frontline by greeting, meeting, and assisting staff, faculty, students, and visitors to the office with information and an assortment of needs. Receive phone calls and answer appropriately, or transfer to the correct staff of faculty. Interact with customers by answering general inquiries. Answer parking questions and director to proper department. Check Lost & Found for items that an owner may be looking for. Record, receive, contact owner (if feasible) and release found itemsProvide assistance to supervisors and others in the department by taking messages, proofreading, word processing, creating spreadsheets and presentations, assisting with technology related issues, and filing. Read, monitor and respond to emails. Monitor and review incoming appeals for manager to approve/denyMaintain and file department documentsStay up to date with current events occurring on campus and relay any relevant information to the department staff. Maintain and update the bulletin board with printed student articles, the library hours, and course information and other happenings. Print and post STEM related event fliers inside classrooms and/or buildings on campusCreate and follow up on work orders that are submitted to maintenance
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficiency with common office software (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel and Access)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High school diploma or GED
Hourly Pay Rate is $10.25Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts. You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.