Part-Time Coordinator I, Chemistry Lab
Job Title: Part-Time Coordinator I, Chemistry Lab
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 34220
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Kingwood
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-Kingwood, an innovative and dynamic community college located in the pine-forested suburbs of northeast Houston, has an opening for someone interested in working with a diverse group of colleagues who want to make a difference in the lives of students and grow professionally. Kingwood focuses on fulfilling individual dreams and enhancing community life and offers unique programs in respiratory care, computer gaming and dental hygiene.
Campus address is 20000 Kingwood Drive, Kingwood, TX 77339.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The PT Coordinator I, Chemistry Lab is responsible for coordination of general functions in the science laboratory environment. Functions include coordination of services, delivery of materials, events, and/or resources, tracking laboratory materials, equipment, and rooms, and assisting with running the lab.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supports the lab coordinator and faculty in setting up chemistry lab experiments
- Communicates with the faculty and other laboratory staff about lab schedules and lab materials. Maintains a constant dialogue between instructors and labs throughout the semester
- Continuously analyzes and improves upon lab-related procedures and practices
- Properly handles, controls, and keeps diligent records of chemical and bio-hazardous wastes
- Actively remains current with new technologies and safety regulations and promotes a culture of safety in the laboratory
- Prepares and inventories complex reagents, chemicals, solutions, stains, media and dyes according to protocol
- Properly monitors, handles, sterilizes and disposes of microbiological organisms and other bio-hazardous and chemical waste or materials
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment and supplies including but not limited to HPC, IT/UP, Spectrophotometers, and Venier Probes
- Ensures safety and quality assurance practices are followed including maintenance of SDS (Safety Data Sheets) workstations and proper use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Provides routine lab support including cleaning and restocking of labs, refilling reagent bottles, washing glassware and recording supplies inventory
- Perform routine duties as needed in labs (e.g. refill paper towels, check eyewash stations, etc.)
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with a diverse group of faculty and staff
- Capable of performing required duties with a minimum of supervision after training
- Good safety record and safety consciousness
- Good organizational, leadership, and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge and/or experience with infection control policies, procedures, and safety regulations (EPA, OSHA)
- Astute and broad knowledge of the sciences and related safety protocols for the successful handling of daily operations
- Ability to work independently with minimum instruction and cooperatively as a member of a team
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- High school diploma or GED equivalent and at least 1 year of related work experience
- Completion of core Biology and Chemistry college coursework with demonstrated high academic and lab skill competency; or at least 1 year of related work experience
- Associate’s degree
- Organic Chemistry coursework
- Experience with analystical instrumentation
Hourly Pay Rate is $14.85Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.