Payroll Specialist I
Payroll Specialist IDepartment:
FMD HR GeneralAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
The UGA Facilities Management Division is the largest of 7 divisions reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. The exceptional staff of over 800 personnel within the Facilities Management Division manage, operate and maintain campus landscapes, buildings and infrastructure to promote the long-term sustainability of the University of Georgia.College/Unit/Department website:
Benefits EligibleFull/Part time:
Full TimeAdditional Schedule Information:
Monday- Friday 8am- 5pm. Occasional nights and weekends may be necessary to meet the needs of the organization.Advertised Salary:
$32,000- $36,000Posting Date:
01/21/2021Open until filled:
01/27/2021Proposed Starting Date:
02/01/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include a Resume, Cover Letter, and list of 3 professional references.
FLSA = Non-exemptLocation of Vacancy:
Athens AreaEEO Policy Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
HR/EEO/OD Paraprofessional/ProfessionalJob Family:
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, a 2-year degree, or professional certificate. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred Qualifications:
-Experience with OneUSG.
-Experience working within a university setting
-Experience with payroll processing and payroll systems.
The Payroll Specialist I is primarily responsible working with departments and employees to ensure payroll is processed accurately and in a timely manner. This position consults with UGA Payroll and OneUSG Connect for time keeping issues and solutions. The Payroll Specialist I also provides support to the FMD HR Office as needed for special projects.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a
wide range of constituents in a diverse community.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to analyze complex information, define and solve problems, and accurately
draw appropriate conclusions.
- Ability to apply standard software applications to data issues and analysis, as well as learn new computer-based data management systems.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and be able to work effectively in a fast paced environment, prioritizing multiple tasks.
- Detail oriented.
- Work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Travel to and inside campus buildings as needed.
- Bend and squat for filing.
YesIs this a Position of Trust?:
YesDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
YesCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities:
• Monitors worked hours for employees.
• Verifies leave submitted, ensures it is entered correctly and has correct approvals.
• Ensures employees are in the correct employee group and correct meal deductions in OneUSG.
• Accurately and in a timely manner processes payroll for bi-weekly and monthly staff.
• Acts as a liaison with UGA Payroll and ensures that all reports are accurate and follows up on all discrepancies.
• Submits tickets on behalf of staff for Emergency Checks or Off-Cycle payroll checks.
• Assists staff with questions related to the time clock and assists in troubleshooting timeclock issues.
• Processes terminations, retirements and changes to the T&A approver.
• Processes Combo Code funding changes.
• Processes increases for approved merit, reclassification, etc.
• Responds to various unit inquiries related to payroll.
• Assists with various needs and special projects within FMD HR.
• Cross-trains with other functional areas with FMD HR to provide back-up.