Biological Scientist II - Department of Neurosurgery, UF Preston A. Wells Center for Brain Timo...
Job no: 515527
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Research/Scientific/Grants
Department:29190000 - MD-NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY
Biological Scientist IIJob Description:
Due to expanding research opportunities, the University of Florida’s Preston A. Wells, Jr. Center for Brain Tumor and Immunotherapy Program in the Department of Neurosurgery is seeking an experienced biological scientist to conduct research and coordinate laboratory activities related to neuro-oncology. This position will be responsible for providing research and laboratory support, animal support services and conducting animal research.
Responsibilities to include:
Perform standard laboratory techniques including, but not limited to: cell culture, flow cytometry, molecular biology (PCR, western blot, nucleic acid extractions specifically RNA), microscopy.
· May assist PI in providing technical supervision and assistance to students and volunteers
Provide animal support services for faculty:
· Modify existing methods to study the mechanisms of biological processes; modify existing guidelines for procedures
· Scheduling use of Animal Services surgical suites and coordination of tasks around schedule availability.
· Provide anesthesia and surgical support for multiple species as necessary. Maintains preclinical health records and supporting records and databases as needed. Also gives injections, administers oral medications, removes sutures, dresses wounds and changes bandages, and provides other routine veterinary procedures.
· Surgical and post-surgical monitoring and care
· Assist in overseeing undergraduate, graduate, and medical students in their research that includes animal work
· Provides communication and support, technical service support, irradiation support, and rodent surgical suite/ anesthesia cart
· Processes incoming animals and assists in routine health maintenance
Conduct pre-clinical experiments in animal models of brain tumors and tumor metastases:
· Oversee their execution; maintain accurate laboratory records that record research methods, procedures, and results; prepare and maintain research findings, summaries, logs, and notes
· Assist in design sampling plans or coordinating the collection of samples
· Modify existing protocols to improve existing techniques or to incorporate new diagnostic procedures; search scientific literature to select and modify methods and procedures most appropriate for research goals
Collects biological and tissue specimens for diagnostic evaluations from laboratory animals.
· This may include but is not limited to collecting blood samples, tissues from necropsy animals and any other specimen requested by the veterinary staff or other samples necessary for health surveillance. Completion of the necessary laboratory record and requisitions is included.
Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in research which includes animal models
• Experience in animal care at a research institution
• Experience working with mice as disease models
• Experience in writing and maintaining standard operating procedures
• Experience with animal surgery and post-surgery care
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
• Knowledge of terminology, principles, equipment and techniques used in animal surgery
For consideration, please complete an application and include a cover letter, resume and the names and email addresses of three to five references.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This is a time limited position.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 04 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 17 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time