Wage Garnishment Payroll Support Specialist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-03-01
The University of Virginia Payroll Services seek applicants for a Wage Garnishment Payroll Support Specialist. This position is expected to be in-office once the University allows for our safe return to Grounds. This position is responsible for collecting, reviewing, and analyzing payroll information to effectively administer involuntary deductions from pay, such as child support, state and federal tax levies, and other court-ordered deductions. The ideal candidate will have experience in the payroll process as well a basic understanding of the wage attachment and payment process. Responsibilities will encompass a supporting role in all aspects of payroll processing and a leading role in tasks related to wage attachment processing and reporting, as well as a providing support to the Payroll Solutions Center Specialists in researching and resolving employee inquiries related to payroll issues or concerns.
- Execute assigned Garnishment processes in a timely and accurate manner
- Process Garnishment Vendor payments according to the outlined organization business process
- Assist internal and external customers with questions related to Garnishment disbursement and transactions
- Provide Support to Payroll Specialists Team and Solution Center Specialists Team with biweekly and monthly payroll processing tasks as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Knowledge of interpreting, entering, and paying withholding orders including, but not limited to garnishments, child supports, student loans, and federal and state tax levies.
- Maintain a high level of knowledge and expertise in current payroll and wage attachment regulations. Networks with peers and seeks to be informed about emerging trends.
- Provides support to the Payroll Solution Center Specialists with data entry and customer inquiries.
- Ability to investigate and resolve payroll issues to ensure strict compliance with company and regulatory standards.
- Maintain accurate payroll documents and records relating to payroll and wage garnishment transactions.
- Takes responsibility for maintaining strong internal controls in all areas of responsibility. Performs reconciliations as needed to maintain strong checks and balances.
- Performs other payroll related tasks as assigned.
Requirements in Support of Finance Mission
The University's payroll function involves highly complex duties and responsibilities. Performance of responsibilities has a distinct impact on the reputation and operations of the University. The following qualities will be critical to success in this position:
- Must be highly detail orientated, accurate, flexible, and possess the capacity to work effectively as a team member, as well as striving to maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty, and students.
- Must be accurate and possess a high commitment to work review/verification.
- Must have strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal and customer service skills, including working with a diverse population. Must have a proven ability to respond to and diffuse challenging customer situations patiently, diplomatically, and professionally. Must demonstrate strong cultural competencies.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills, being able to meet deadlines and balance competing priorities.
- Maintains a welcoming and customer-service oriented work attitude and atmosphere.
- Takes an active role in process improvement, considering opportunities to increase efficiency and effectiveness of work procedures and looking for ways to improve technology use in processing wage attachments and payroll.
- Must successfully clear a criminal conviction record check.
Education: High School Diploma is required, while an Associates Degree or Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years payroll experience is required, however accounting experience may also be considered. Workday or other HRIS experience is preferred. Garnishment experience is preferred.
Computer Skills: Intermediate Excel Skills are required, while advanced Excel skills are preferred. The selected candidate must embrace the use of technology and seek ways to enhance performance of job duties with the effective use of technology. They must possess a high capacity to learn new computer skills quickly.
Certification: Fundamental Payroll Certification is preferred.
Physical Demands: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
Anticipated Hiring Range: Approximately $45,760, commensurate with candidate's experience and qualifications, with UVA benefits.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter, at email@example.com. Applicant review will begin January 25. This position will remain open until filled.
Please apply through Workday, and search for "Wage Garnishment Payroll Support Specialist". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.