Finance Generalist - Biocomplexity Institute
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-20
The Biocomplexity Institute and Initiative (BII) at the University of Virginia is seeking applications for a Finance Generalist. This position provides primary assistance in the day-to-day processing of financial transactions associated with the operations of the Institute. The incumbent assists in maintaining accurate financial records in accordance with all federal, state and University guidelines. Duties include accounts payable and receivable, procurement processing, fiscal reconciliation and reporting, and general administrative support.
The UVA Biocomplexity Institute is located in the UVA Research Park at 994 Research Park Boulevard, Charlottesville, VA. Due to the current conditions as a result of COVID-19, this position is expected to begin on a teleworking basis with the expectation to work onsite when it is deemed safe to do so.
To learn more about the Biocomplexity Institute, visit: https://biocomplexity.virginia.edu
- Advising and assisting supervisors, faculty, and staff on financial matters as needed, providing up-to-date guidance on University financial policies and procedures.
- Assembling budget information based on an understanding of management needs.
- Overseeing and monitoring the expenditures in assigned awards and projects to ensure adherence to budget allocation and spending guidelines, making corrections as needed.
- Analyzing and processing transactions in all accounting areas, resolving any problems that may arise.
- Reviewing bank reconciliations and determining the disposition of discrepancies.
- Completing payroll and leave transactions according to published schedules.
- Managing and maintaining data in key financial systems, providing sophisticated custom reports per management specifications.
- Gathering, compiling, and evaluating financial, statistical, and operational data for reports to county, state, and federal agencies.
- Preparing procurement documents in support of equipment and project support materials.
- Assist in the development, coordination, and maintenance of budgets, as appropriate.
- Processing travel expense documents for researchers and staff.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with at least 5 years of relevant experience in accounting, business, grants management, or a related field.
- Knowledge of accounting, accounts payable, procurement, and reconciliation.
- Ability to calculate numbers, correct entries, and post to records.
- Ability to perform simple to moderately complex accounting procedures.
- Ability to research, analyze, balance, and/or reconcile financial data.
- Knowledge of cash management principles and/or procedures.
- Ability to prepare financial reports and/or update financial statements and/or projections.
- Advanced understanding of and experience with Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to handle multiple, competing, and simultaneous priorities effectively, and to independently research financial processing or process questions and provide appropriate direction and resolution.
- Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
- Strong knowledge of financial principles and accounting practices.
- Knowledge of University fund sources and appropriate uses.
- Experience with Oracle Finical System Software and/or other University applications.
- Experience working in higher education, government, research institutions, or other closely related organizations.
- A demonstrated ability to quickly learn new skills and adapt to change.
- Advanced understanding of and experience with Microsoft Excel
This position will remain open till filled. Review of applications will begin on February 1, 2021.
Complete an application online through Workday and attach the following:
- Current Resume
- Cover Letter detailing your reason for applying
- Contact Information for 3 references
***Please note that you MUST upload multiple documents into the CV/Resume box. Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday, and search for R0021241.'
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0021241.'
Questions related to the position may be directed to Savanna Galambos, Special Assistant for Administrative Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions regarding the application process should be directed to Michele Jarman, email@example.com.
This is an Exempt level, benefit-eligible position. All roles within the institute are restricted positions and are dependent upon project need, availability of funding, and performance. This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings and programs.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position also requires an Education Verification (FSAKA).
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.