Network Infrastructure Engineer
Job location: University Campus
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-26
Job Description SummaryThe Network Infrastructure Engineer works alongside the Department of Information Technology support teams to ensure the maximum performance of a high traffic network infrastructure while maintaining system integrity. Internal networks you will handle include computer, voice, and firewall. You also must have in-depth knowledge of networks with a focus on high-level design and planning. Our ideal candidate knows how to collaborate on large-scale projects but can also complete assigned tasks on their own.Job Description
Duties and Tasks:
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or related or a logical assignment to the position. Management may require incumbents to perform duties other than those contained in this document.
- Provide input to design, analysis, implementation, and troubleshooting of network security, operations, connection quality, level of service, and other critical network functions.
- Design, plan, and implementation of network-related configurations, changes or modifications, service releases, and patches for functionality and cost-effectiveness.
- Provide primary support for network services on University’s Data LAN/WAN including but not limited to hardware and software selection, configuration, and implementation, campus wiring, and server room environments.
- Provide necessary support for the University’s DNS and DHCP structure.
- Work with Information Security to secure network infrastructure.
- Provide secondary support for VoIP services on University’s LAN/WAN environment.
- Propose strategic and tactical upgrades and other changes for increased effectiveness, efficiency, and cost management.
- Assist in the development of guidelines and policies regarding the use, security, and administration of specific network systems and Federal compliance issues.
- Provide assistance and technical advice for servicing failed systems, troubleshooting, failure analysis, and root cause remediation.
- Configure routers, switches, and other network hardware.
- Work with vendors as needed.
- Work as a member of the Network team
- Learn new technologies as required
- Perform other duties as directed by the Director of Infrastructure.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of firewall systems, security rules, and best practices. Preferably with Palo Alto Networks and Cisco devices.
- Knowledge of Cisco Meraki switches, wireless access points, and security devices.
- Knowledge of network terminology, architecture, protocols, operations, applications, security, service requirements, and other relevant topics that are used to work with the team to support network infrastructure.
- Ability to communicate technical topics in an understandable form.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work in a team setting.
- Attention to detail.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certificate required.
- 5+ years' experience in managing sophisticated computer networks.
- Familiarity with various network types including LANs, WANs, WLANs, SANs, and VoIP networks
- Attention to detail.
- Flexible schedule, including the ability to work nights and weekends.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success.