RESEARCH SCIENTIST - Center for Human Systems Immunology
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
OVERVIEW:The Center for Human Systems Immunology is seeking an experienced scientist to support immunological research for preclinical and clinical vaccine trials. We are recruiting a Research Scientist with broad immunology and viro logy experience to lead active and pending sponsored research involving SARS-CoV-2, HIV, influenza, and other global health pathogens.
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Independently design, develop and execute major and complex scientific projects, serve as the point person for assigned projects, and coordinate collaborative science among investigators internallyand externally to effectively meet milestones and project deadlines
- Ensure that all work is performed under approved Standard Operating Procedures ( SOPs) and that all Unit staff are trained and perform duties according toSOPs.
- Develop and implement standard operating procedures and lead in development, optimization, qualification and validation efforts for assays and procedures, as requested by the research sponsor /PI.
- Research new products, tests, and methods and report on relative feasibility, quality, an d benefits of new developments. Work to improve/optimize existing SOPs.
- Organize and present complex data sets to the PI,collaborators, and sponsors.
- Summarize completed protocols and studies; write scientific articles and manuscripts for publication and presentation.
- Supervise and mentor lab staff, students andfellows as assigned.
- Perform other duties asrequested by the PI.
Education,Skills, and Experience Req uirements:
- PhD in biochemistry, immunology, molecular biology, or related field and 5 years of scientific laboratory experience in immune assays, biochemistry and virology is required
- Outstandingorganization and communication skills
- Proven critical thinking abilities
- Abilityto work and communicate effectively in an interactive and dynamic team environment
- Strong interest in immunology, virology and/or vaccine evaluation
- Must be able to manage multiple and rapidly changing priorities and have the ability to learn and apply new skills and concepts
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized
See job description for education requirements.
See job description for requirements.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.