Support Professional – Financial Aid
Date: January 21, 2021
Title: Support Professional – Financial Aid
Position Number: 1099
Hours: 40 hours/52 weeks*
Salary: APSS, Level B, $17.08 per hour
Reports to: Associate Director of Financial Aid-Customer Service
Close Date: February 4, 2021
*Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. Schedule may need to be adjusted to accommodate peak periods. This may include some evenings and weekends.
The Financial Aid Support Professional will function primarily as a student customer care specialist in answering student financial aid requests through the call center, during text campaigns, through the click-to-chat web software, and in person. This individual will also provide student/parents with basic information regarding the admission, orientation, academic advising, registration and payment/refund processes as part of the GRCC Enrollment Management team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Foster a friendly, supportive, and welcoming environment for students and parents.
- Assist students and parents by providing information, directions, and next steps through in-person contact, telephone, text messaging, and/or e-mail.
- Assist students in the use of technology to obtain information and submit applications, including, but not limited to, utilization of the Online Center, FSA ID, FAFSA on the Web, online student loan application process, and the GRCC Foundation online scholarship application.
- Provide basic information regarding GRCC student services (i.e., application, enrollment, counseling services, etc.).
- Assist students and parents with interpreting their GRCC student account and planning for payment of the educational expenses.
- Take a lead role in resolving front-line complaints and reducing frustrations.
- Refer student/parents to other Financial Aid staff members and/or GRCC departments, as necessary.
- Assist students and parents by providing student information, directions, and next steps through in-person contact, telephone, testing, or e-mail.
- Assist students in the use of technology to obtain information and submit applications, including, but not limited to, utilization of the Online Student Center, FSA ID, FAFSA on the Web, and the online student loan application process.
- Assist students and parents with all aspects of the financial aid application and verification processes.
- Image and link required financial aid documents received by paper or electronically through fax or email into the Image Now Perceptive Content system.
- Assist in creating, reviewing and revising all financial aid communications and promotional/informational materials.
- Receive and respond to incoming phone calls to the Financial Aid Office.
- Coordinate all incoming and outgoing office mail service.
- Assist in supervision of student employees and coordination of their daily activities.
- Assist in patch testing for updates to the Campus Wide Information System.
- Assist with ordering office supplies and printing services jobs for the Financial Aid Office.
- Regular attendance during normal schedule hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned by the Associate Director of Financial Aid-Customer Service or Executive Director of Financial Aid.
- Associate’s Degree required or comparable combination of relevant education and experience.
- National career Readiness Certificate preferred.
- Experience working with the administration of federal student financial aid programs preferred.
- At least three (3) years’ experience in a similar customer service position, preferably in higher education.
- The following competencies are essential and will be evaluated for our candidates through the evidence based selection process:
- Information Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Judgement & Decision Making
- Getting Information
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates
- Interacting With Computers
- Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships
- Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work
- Documenting/Recording Information
- Processing Information
- Identifying Objects, Actions, and Events
- Updating and Using Relevant Knowledge
- Performing Administrative Activities
- Making Decisions and Solving Problems
- Communicating with Persons Outside Organization
- Evaluating Information to Determine Compliance with Standards
- Monitor Processes, Materials, or Surroundings
- Resolving Conflicts and Negotiating with Others
- Strong command of the Microsoft Office Suite plus a willingness to learn Campus Wide Information System, Campuslogic, and Image Now Perceptive Content.
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Ability to work under pressure with many interruptions in a busy, student-centered environment.
- Adapt to changing technologies and responsibilities.
- Must be punctual and have good attendance record.
- Must enjoy working with the public and possess good oral and written communication skills; ability to manage high volume of service requests via phone and in person promptly, courteously and professionally.
- Attend professional development conferences, seminars, workshops and webinars to stay abreast of current regulations, trends and best practices in the student financial aid profession.
- Be flexible in schedule to allow for changes during the semesters, in accordance with busy periods.
- Display patience, diplomacy, and excellent public relations skills; project professional image.
- Ability to serve students of diverse backgrounds, intelligence levels, and linguistic abilities.
- Must be efficient and possess good organization, problem-solving, decision-making, and complaint-resolution skills.
- Must be good and independent judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations.
- Must maintain highest level of confidentiality.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team in a multi-person and high volume customer service department.
- Offices, classrooms and labs in a customer service setting.
- Travel to offsite locations may be required.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs. The posting will remain open until February 4, 2021 at 11:59 PM. Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.