The Human Resources Office is responsible for developing and implementing programs and services to meet the human resource needs, the fringe benefit needs, and the payroll needs of the College. The Human Resource Payroll Coordinator provides administrative and technical assistance to the Human Resources Office and is primarily responsible for coordinating all payroll related functions to ensure efficient, timely and accurate payroll processing in accordance with college policies and practices and in compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations and tax code.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with Human Resources/Payroll Assistant to prepare and distribute monthly, bi-weekly and special payrolls for faculty, staff, students, and summer programs.
- Obtain, review and verify documentation for all new hires, terminations, promotions, transfers, and employee payments – wage changes, stipends, bonuses, etc. Make necessary adjustments or corrections.
- Obtain, review and verify documentation for all voluntary payroll deductions. Make necessary adjustments or corrections.
- Generate reports for use in preparing annual salary/benefit budget and monthly FTE reports.
- Compile salary and benefit data to create and generate annual appointment letters.
- Process wage garnishments, child support withholding, federal/state wage levies, etc. as required by law.
- Prepare and transmit payroll, benefit, and tax transactions to financial institutions/external vendors by required date as applicable.
- Prepare journal entries to record payroll, benefit, and tax transactions as applicable.
- Provide spreadsheets, reports, source documents, and reconciliations for annual general, financial aid and workers’ comp audits.
- Monitor retirement contributions to ensure compliance with federal limits and the plan document. Provide spreadsheets, reports, source documents, and reconciliations for annual retirement plan audit.
- Prepare and process monthly billings and payments to benefit providers. Reconcile against EX payroll data and provider statements. Record and process monthly COBRA payments.
- Serve as EX Payroll module manager. Configure, test, and maintain settings and data in Jenzabar HR/Payroll module. Keep abreast of software issues and enhancements. Work with IT to identify/correct software issues and apply software revisions and updates.
- Create Infomaker queries/reports and Excel spreadsheets/tables to compile HR/payroll information for verification, reconciliation, upload, analysis, reporting, etc. both internally and externally, including daily, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports.
- Research, analyze, and resolve all payroll-related questions and problems.
- Provide technical and procedural assistance with online time entry to faculty, staff, and students.
- Prepare and file all state and federal tax and information returns related to payroll including 941s, W-2s, W-2cs, W-4s, 1095-Cs, unemployment, etc. Prepare quarterly and annual wage and tax reconciliations.
- Determine the appropriate tax status of all non-resident alien employees/students. Work with accounting office to issue 1042-S forms for treaty exemptions and non-qualified payments. Coordinate and oversee annual program to assist non-resident students with preparation of federal/state tax returns.
- Calculate fiscal year-end salary/benefit accruals and forward to Accounting for posting.
- Calculate, upload and distribute staff PTO accruals at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Gather information and coordinate the payment of summer internship/research/grant funds to students.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of payroll liability accounts.
- Maintain payroll information, files and records in written and electronic formats to provide an up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Keep abreast of changes in state and federal laws as they pertain to the payroll function.
- Document and update payroll processes and procedures. Assist in developing/implementing new and/or revised processes to ensure efficient processing and ongoing compliance with laws.
Credentials and Experience:
- Minimum of an associates degree in accounting with payroll emphasis required.
- Previous 4 – 5 years payroll experience required.
- Experience planning, organizing, and prioritizing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously with frequent interruptions is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software with strong Excel skills.
- Proficiency with Jenzabar EX and Infomaker or similar HR systems database and reporting software.
Because equity and inclusion are central to our students’ liberal education and vital to the thriving of all members of our residential learning community, Beloit College aspires to be an actively anti-racist institution. We recognize our aspiration as ongoing and institution-wide, involving collective commitment and accountability. We welcome employees who are committed to and will actively contribute to our efforts to celebrate our cultural and intellectual richness and be resolute in advancing inclusion and equity. We encourage all interested individuals meeting the criteria of the described position to apply.
For more information regarding our commitment to Equity, Inclusion, and Anti-Racism please click here.
Located in a diverse community close to Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago, Beloit is a selective undergraduate liberal arts college that attracts students from across the United States and the world. The college emphasizes excellence in teaching, learning beyond the traditional classroom, international perspectives, and collaborative research among students and faculty. It is recognized as one of the Colleges That Change Lives.
AA/EEOPosting Date01/19/2021Closing Dateuntil filledOfficeHuman ResourcesHow to Apply
Application review will begin immediately and continue until positions are filled.