Groundskeeper - 501920 & 501063
Groundskeeper - 501920 & 501063
The Groundkeeper performs skilled landscaping and manual work necessary to maintain the properties of the University.
- Removes refuse and trash from campus grounds.
- Mows, trims, removes leaves, aerates, overseeds, fertilizes and waters lawns and athletic fields using both push and riding power equipment.
- Plants, trims, mulches, weeds and fertilizes flowers, shrubs and trees as directed or as necessary to insure proper standards are maintained.
- Repairs and maintains campus walk, roads, benches signs, light poles and fountains by cleaning, painting, patching, etc.
- Removes snow and ice and applies sand and chemicals in all areas of campus as directed using hand shovels, brooms, power snow blowers, tractors and trucks equipped with blades and spreaders.
- Operates lawn and grounds equipment including: push and riding power mowers, leaf blowers, snow blowers, skid and front end loaders and other power equipment.
- All Facilities employees are expected to exercise behavior in accordance with University policies as well as with the Facilities Mission and statement of Core Values.
- All Facilities employees are expected to comply to safety standards and demonstrate safe work habits.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT:
- Physically capable of working while bending, stooping, kneeling in all weather conditions.
- Physically capable of heavy lifting (minimum 50 pounds).
- Basic knowledge of grounds maintenance and the equipment required to perform ground maintenance duties.
- Basic knowledge of grounds keeping and elementary horticultural practices and procedures.
- Some knowledge of the pruning and trimming requirements of shrubs and trees.
- Basic knowledge of the safe use and operation of hand and power tools used in grounds keeping.
- Must be able to remember and follow directions in performing daily landscape maintenance tasks.
- Valid Virginia Driver’s license in good standing with DMV and record meets standards of the University insurance carrier.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Prior work experience in landscape maintenance preferred
- Full-time, non-exempt position
- Monday - Friday, 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.; 8 hrs/day, 40 hrs/week; flexibility required
- All Facilities employees are designated as essential personnel and are subject to work outside the normal work schedule on an emergency basis and are also subject to planned overtime work as required by the immediate supervisor.
Pay Grade 1 (Rate starting at $12.00 per hour)
At the University of Richmond, we’re creative, inclusive, and determined. We’re Spiders, and our mission is to create positive change in the UR community and beyond. Located minutes from downtown Richmond, Virginia, the University of Richmond (www.richmond.edu) blends the intimacy of a small college with exceptional academic, research, and cultural opportunities usually found only at large institutions. There’s only one place like Richmond.
UR is committed to developing a diverse faculty, staff and student body, and to modeling an inclusive campus community which values the expression of differences in ways that promote excellence in teaching, learning, personal development and institutional success. In keeping with this commitment, our academic community welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds and candidates who support diversity. EOE