PG190756EPInternal Recruitment :
GIS AdministratorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$65,000 - $75,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm with some weekends and evenings as necessaryJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
University Architect's OfficeAbout the Department:
The 800+ positions of the Facilities Division service the students and staff of the University’s teaching, research/administrative space, and 2,140 acres of infrastructure. The Facilities Division provides design and building services, maintenance, custodial, landscape, solid waste removal, utility, mail, and motor pool services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The goal is to deliver cost-effective services to the University, ensure completed projects and maintenance that conform to codes and regulations while minimizing University liabilities and disruptions caused by the maintenance, repair, building, and equipment modifications to the University.
Office of the University Architect:
- Programming and planning – This function involves the evaluation of strategic plans from the University units and the development of the capital improvements plan in the context of the approved physical master plan for the campus. The identification of space requirements and availability are included.
- Facilities Information System Management – This function includes the development and maintenance of databases to track all space occupied by the University, statewide deficiencies in buildings, building development and maintenance of computer-aided design (CAD) floor plans and maps, architectural and engineering as-built records, survey accurate mapping, utility data, geographic information system development, and coordination of access to all of this information.
The Geographic information system (GIS) Administrator is a key member of the Facilities Enterprise GIS team. This team is responsible for developing and maintaining Enterprise GIS for administrative use at NC State University. The ideal candidate will provide comprehensive support for the existing Enterprise GIS environment and provide guidance in the development and implementation of future growth.
The primary responsibilities of this position are:
- Supporting, developing, and maintaining data management workflows.
- Supporting, developing, and managing enterprise GIS data and metadata.
- Administering and managing ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Portal, including performing system upgrades, performance monitoring, and testing.
- Developing new and updating existing ArcGIS web services and applications for management, analysis, visualization, and reporting of data.
- Maintaining and developing GIS Data Collection Standards and Geospatial Data Standards.
- Scripting custom code applications to support ETL processes.
- Applying knowledge of cartographic principles to static and web-based map products.
- Providing technical support, training, guidance, and assistance to administrative desktop and Enterprise GIS users within the University.
- Developing, supporting, and maintaining GIS integration with other enterprise systems.
- Developing cost estimates and schedules for new Enterprise functionality and technology.
- Continuing to stay current with modern and emerging technology.
- Creating and maintaining documentation of GIS data and services.
- Participating in and contribute to presentations related to Enterprise GIS Technical Working Groups and formal Steering Committees.
- Communicating (written, verbal, and graphically) effectively in both technical and non-technical subjects across all levels of the organization.
- Thorough understanding of the project development life cycle, including but not limited to application and data analysis, development, testing, documentation, approval, and post migration validation.
Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.Minimum Experience and Education:
Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, or directly related field, and at least five years of demonstrated GIS experience (analysis and data management); OR
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.Other Required Qualifications:
- Proficient in the use of GIS and ESRI products including ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Portal, ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Network Analyst and Spatial Analyst extensions.
- Database (traditional and spatial) theory and management techniques including Microsoft SQL Server and relational databases.
- Thorough understanding of ESRI geodatabase technology.
- Proficient in the methods, practices, and techniques of spatial modeling, including raster and vector analysis and cartography.
- Understanding and ability to work with REST web services.
- Knowledge of Microsoft business applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Beyond the technical skills and knowledge listed, professional qualities must include the ability to work independently and collaboratively, a dedication to superior customer service, strong project management competence, attention to detail and deadlines, efficient multitasking, and effective interpersonal communication skills with a broad audience of faculty, administrators, and other campus units.Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, or directly related field, and five+ years of demonstrated GIS experience (analysis, data management, and development).
- Experience working in a large facilities organization for a government agency.
- General expertise with Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, or comparable packages is desired.
- Experience working with Autodesk products including AutoCAD and REVIT.
- Able to use Google Business Apps, including Gmail, Google Docs, and Google Meet.
Valid North Carolina Driver’s License required. NC driver’s license must be obtained within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.Valid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
01/19/2021Anticipated Close Date:
2/2/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
In addition to your application please submit a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for at least three professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
441901 - University Architect's OfficeAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.