University Program Specialist
University Program SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
$50,000 - $60,000Work Schedule:
Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pmJob Location:
Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)About the Department:
The Office of Research and Innovation is the lead administrator of the university’s research enterprise. We work to lead and spark research innovation in many ways, such as operating key core facilities, providing seed grants and defining the university’s research mission through strategic research areas.
This position will be housed within the Integrated Support Service Center (ISSC), which provides proposal, financial and administrative support for Office of Research and Innovation’s centers and institutes as well as principal investigators across the university who are not affiliated with a college research office. Streamlining these services eliminates costly duplication and creates efficiencies.
We grow and promote the world-class research enterprise at NC State. By strategically directing the research environment, cultivating alliances, catalyzing excellence in graduate education, and providing effective support to the research community, ORI enables the creation, application, and dissemination of new knowledge and future leaders that influence our state, nation and world.
NC State is a world-class research university built on the tradition of innovation and collaboration. Our identity is based on a reputation for excellence in research while our teaching is enhanced by the presence of a strong research culture.Essential Job Duties:
- The primary purpose of the University Program Specialist is to provide consultation and oversight with regards to the development, preparation, processing and management of sponsored program proposals and awards during the pre-award and post-award phases of a project’s lifecycle.
This includes but is not limited to: Consultation regarding funding solicitation interpretation, proposal development, budget and budget justification development, creation of PINS records, submission of proposals via sponsor specific online portals, pre-award requests coordination with SPARCS, consultation/training regarding cost share and non-effort cost share setup and tracking, directing cost transaction/voucher review and approval, and monthly account monitoring, consult with clients when budgetary or any other changes need to be made to the project, coordinate/initiate necessary requests for changes to the project and coordination/initiation of project closeouts.
- The individual in this position should possess thorough knowledge of university, state and federal regulations regarding sponsored programs, and be able to independently provide consultation based on this knowledge.
- This position will report directly to the Integrated Support Service Center (ISSC) Director of Research Administration.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.Other Required Qualifications:
- Experience in research or business administrative functions
- Experience in accounting, auditing or business administration
- Familiarity with Circulars of the Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
- Experience in research administration at a college or university
- Experience in the proposal review and oversight and fiscal and administrative management of complex agreements and relationships with external research sponsors
- We would prefer a candidate that has at least two years of experience in working with sponsored program proposals at a large research university.
- Experience at public, land grant, research extensive university
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
01/20/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
Applicants should upload to their application the following:
- Cover letter
- Contact information of three professional references, including email addresses and phone numbers.
- Please make sure the work history listed on your application matches the work history listed on your resume.
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
University Program SpecialistPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,888 - $80,223Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
060101 - Office of Research & Innovation (ORI)AA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.