Professional Research Assistant (Data Manager) or Sr. Professional Research Assistant (Sr. Data...
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Biostatistics and Informatics and
Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA)
Professional Research Assistant or Senior Professional Research Assistant
Data Manager / Senior Data Manager
The University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.NATURE OF WORKThe Colorado School of Public Health (ColoradoSPH), Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA) and Department of Biostatistics and Informatics, has an opening for a full-time data manager position at the rank of PRA or Sr. PRA.This is a data manager position in the Center for Innovative Design and Analysis (CIDA) and the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics at the University of Colorado, Anschutz Medical Campus. CIDA is the campus wide analytics center and provides consulting and in-depth collaboration for researchers on the Anschutz Medical Campus and the surrounding community. The person in this position will join a growing group of master’s and doctoral trained faculty in CIDA and over three-dozen faculty and research personnel in the Department of Biostatistics and Informatics. The Colorado School of Public Health is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing vital contributions towards ensuring our region’s health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by CU Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 25,000 employees, more than 5,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state’s children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school.A Data Manager - PRA is expected to have an undergraduate degree and several years of research experience. A Senior Data Manager – PRA is expected to have a graduate degree, research experience in their graduate training and be within the first few years of having obtained their graduate degree. The individual in this position is expected to provide high-level, professional and scientifically rigorous support to CIDA teams collaborating with biomedical researchers at CU Anschutz. A (Sr) PRA Data Manager generally works within a team under the supervision of other master’s or doctoral trained biostatisticians. Over time they are expected to work more independently and on more advanced data management challenges. The focus of this position is varied with potential applications in clinical research, electronic health records, distributed data systems, among many others. The desire to learn continuously and try new approaches are key features of a (Sr) Professional Research Assistant in CIDA. SUPERVISION RECEIVEDThe (Sr) Professional Research Assistant position in CIDA will be supervised by the lead biostatistician on their team. SUPERVISION EXERCISEDThe PRA position will have no supervisory responsibilities. A Sr. PRA position may have supervisory responsibilities with Professional Research Assistants (PRAs). EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMEDThe (Sr) PRA Data Manager in this position will contribute to the design of databases and data storage systems, implementation of data management systems such as merging, cleaning, querying, and quality checks of data from various platforms. They should be willing to develop competency in common data ontologies and the creation of data dictionaries. In addition, they will develop data visualization and dash boards of the databases and develop and implement data sharing policies. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience with management of large data sets, quality control, and data manipulation techniques using SAS or R.
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and experience of basic statistical analysis principles relevant in medical research and their application using statistical software (e.g., SAS or R).
- Ability to analyze and solve complex data problems.
- Competency with REDCap and other relational databases.
- Experience creating databases from multiple data sources.
- Experience with linkage of datasets.
- Familiarity with clinical datasets collected for the purposes of studying public health, health services research, and chronic disease.
- Understanding of HIPAA and IRB requirements for health care research and programming.
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects, managing own workload, self-directed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive attitude and the ability to work with a variety of biomedical investigators and colleagues.
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the CIDA and the collaborative research groups.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS for PRA
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Business or Public Health.
- 3+ years of experience as a data manager.
- A Master’s degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Biomedical Informatics or related area of graduate level training at the start date of the position.
- Experience as a data manager in graduate school or post-graduate work.
- 5+ years of experience with data management and linkage of data sources.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully contribute to the data management elements of multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience in several relational database platforms.
- Experience with several statistical software languages (SAS and R).
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic health records systems.
- Strong programming skills.
- Or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Strong knowledge of data management principles relevant to medical research.
- Strong knowledge of basic statistics in medical research.
- Graduate training in research design and basic data analysis and ability to work independently.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Jan 20, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing