*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
University Police Department
Position #00215659 – Requisition #19899
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America’s most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
This full-time, state classified Security Officer (Security I) position exists to provide service to the campus community and to protect the property and facilities of the University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus by patrolling campus parking lots and the interior and exterior of university facilities and buildings; providing faculty, staff, and students personal escorts to their vehicles after dark; responding to campus emergencies; acting as an on scene liaison with the Aurora Fire Department; unlocking doors for staff; checking for fire and safety hazards; making initial contact with possible unauthorized persons pending the arrival of a police officer; etc.
Examples of Work Performed:
This full time, state classified Security Officer position is responsible for providing customer service focused support in patrolling, providing campus assistance, and securing and controlling access to buildings, contents, equipment, property, and various buildings and parking facilities.
- Conducting foot and vehicle patrols
- Locking and/or unlocking exterior and interior doors
- Providing after-hours access to buildings/facilities/premises
- Responding to fire alarms, security system alarms, medical assists and other campus emergencies
- Assisting emergency response units when necessary; provides directions and assistance to employees, patients, campus visitors and community members
- Aiding motorists stranded in campus parking lots
- Providing personal escorts after hours
- Working commencement exercises and other ceremonies, special events and public gatherings
- Interacting with the public as well as the University community on a daily basis
- Participating in training in first aid, CPR, hazardous materials, chemical weapons and other job related trainings, and maintains proficiency and certification in all required skills
- Utilizing department computers, University network and various software programs (i.e. security access system, ARMS, Outlook, Word, data management systems, etc.) to complete police reports, communicate via email, review department policies and procedures, review work records and manage leave, perform basic word processing, etc.; and various other duties or tasks as assigned and/or needed.
Hiring Salary Range: $2,578 – $2,836 / month (non-negotiable) *
*Compensation: The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: http://www.cu.edu/node/153125
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at [email protected] The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
There are no education or experience requirements for entry into positions in this job class.Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess and maintain a current State of Colorado Driver’s License at time of hire and must not have acquired more than twelve (12) points in the last five (5) years.
- Persons in this position must be able to perform moderate physical activity such as walking/standing for extended periods of time, walking up and down stairs of multiple story buildings, and assisting in subduing physically combative persons.
- Must be able to speak and comprehend English fluently
- The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus requires security coverage 24/7. There are several requirements that are applicable to this position:
- Employees in this position may be required to work either a straight or rotating shift.
- Employees in this position may be required to “stay over late” or “come in early” to “cover” shifts as needed.
- Must be willing and able to provide off-hour phone contact information to be accessible during non-work hours in case of emergencies or to cover unscheduled staffing shortages.
- Must be willing and able to pass a Police Department Background Check which may include: Personnel History Questionnaire, Integrity Interview, Polygraph Examination, Finger Print Check, Drug Screen, Credit/Civil Check, Criminal History and Driving Infractions Check, Reference Checks, and Post-Conditional Offer Pre-Placement Physical and Psychological Examination.
- Experience using Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Outlook
- Experience using an electronic security access system
- Experience communicating with and dealing with the public on a daily basis
- Experience working in a customer service focused position
- Experience as a security guard for a higher education and/or hospital facility
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate with others in a clear and concise manner
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Basic first aid, CPR, and hazardous materials and chemical weapons knowledge
- Basic computer and MS Office proficiency
- Ability to monitor surroundings and recognize irregularities
- Advanced troubleshooting and problem solving skills, and ability to respond quickly and appropriately under pressure
- Ability to understand and enforce laws, policies, protocols and procedures
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Mar 16, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing