GiE Program Assistant (4724C) - TRUST
GiE Program Assistant (4724C) - TRUST About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: Immediate Review - Opened Until Filled
Girls in Engineering (GiE) is a week-long gateway STEM program for middle school students, designed to give the participants an overview of the tremendous ability engineering has to advance society and affect positive change for the public good. Taught by UC Berkeley faculty, staff and students, the program offers the opportunity for students to work in teams and learn through hands-on activities about many types of engineering—from computer coding to building robots - inspiring them to pursue studies in engineering, math, and science.
Program Assistants work alongside the Director to ensure the smooth execution of camp. Given the uncertainty around what the summer will hold, the camp format may be in person, virtual, or a hybrid format. Program Assistants will need to be flexible and open to support the program in any format. Program Assistants are primarily responsible for assisting the Director with camp operations, supervising campers to ensure their safety, and supporting campers during the learning modules.
- Program Assistants will support 4 week-long camps during June and July 2021. In addition, Program Assistants will help with pre-camp and post-camp work. The start date for this position is June 7, 2021 and the end date is July 30, 2021.
- Camps run during the weeks of June 21, June 28, July 12, and July 19. Program Assistants must be able to work full time during these four weeks. During the weeks that camp is not in session (pre-camp, post-camp, 4th of July week), candidates will be working part-time.
- During the camp weeks, Program Assistants may need to work overtime. For this reason, it is not possible to combine this position with other day jobs, research internships, or college courses.
- Candidates should include a cover letter in their application. This cover letter should confirm the candidate's availability for the described work period and should disclose any and all schedule conflicts.
- It may be possible for the candidate to miss a few days of work during the pre-camp and post-camp work periods, but only with prior approval. Candidate should be available for at least a portion of the week of June 7-11. Candidate must disclose any and all schedule conflicts in their cover letter.
NOTE: Interviews will be conducted in January - March 2021. The full camp schedule will be discussed at the time of interviews
- Assists in leading learning modules and camp activities.
- Supervises campers and ensures their safety, development, growth, skill achievement, and general well-being.
- Organizes and leads various small group activities.
- Exhibits strong mediation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ensures the cleanliness of the site.
- Assists in maintaining accurate program records, including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Knows and understands all emergency procedures associated with the camp program.
- Records and tracks camper's dietary restrictions/allergies and ensures that the meals/snacks that meet their medical needs are distributed to them. Knows, enforces, and follows all safety guidelines associated with the camp program, including knowing the whereabouts of your charges at all times.
- Interacts with campers' guardians and communicates any messages from parents to Director.
- Applies UC Berkeley's Risk Management policy to ensure a safe experience for all campers, help to monitor campers' behavior and keep camp locations clean and organized. Complies with and enforces all COVID-19 related safety protocols, including personal hygiene and cleaning practices. Runs errands around campus as needed.
****************MUST BE 18 YEARS OR OLDER BY MAY 1, 2021 TO APPLY****************
- Enjoys working with middle school children. Serves as a positive role model for campers. Exhibits leadership, patience, and a sense of excitement. Comes to camp with a positive attitude, energy, and eagerness to pitch in. Works well in a team and individually. Acquires knowledge of program content and objectives. Learns and applies UC Berkeley's Risk Management policies. Checks campers in and out of camp. Learns how to help manage campers' behavior (examples: how to get campers' attention, how to encourage girls to participate, how to manage disruptive behavior). Has or can complete CPR/First Aid certification for children and adults (if candidate does not currently have a certificate, they can attend a training prior to camp).
**fluent in both spoken and written Spanish.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
*The hourly salary range designated for this position: $18.97 - $19.33; however, starting salary will be commensurate with experience.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
This position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter required to report the observed or suspected abuse or neglect of children, dependent adults, or elders to designated law enforcement or social service agencies. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon completion of signed statements acknowledging the responsibilities of a Mandated Reporter.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=14661&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency