Research Scientist - MMLI - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (141041)
Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology
University of Illinois
Research Scientist – Molecule Maker Lab Institute
The Molecule Maker Lab Institute (MMLI) is an NSF Artificial Intelligence Institute for Molecular Discovery, Synthetic Strategy, and Manufacturing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, which will become a global epicenter for molecule making innovation. The MMLI is seeking a Research Scientist who will collaborate with researchers across the Institute to apply artificial intelligence to synthesis planning, catalyst design and optimization, manufacturing, development of functional materials, and broadening access to molecule making. This position will have multiple opportunities for training that can lead to publications and letters of recommendation for future applications to an academic faculty position or an industry managerial position.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct database research
- Conduct text mining research
- Communicate and interact with software engineers for development of the databases
- Coordinate various research projects in the institute
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Required: Ph.D. in computer science or related fields of study. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience, depending upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position.
- Preferred: Ph.D. in computer science or related fields of study. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted if accompanied by equivalent experience, depending upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position. Postdoctoral experience in database and AI/ML.
- Required: Research experience in database or text mining.
- Preferred: Strong publication record.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for technical and general audiences.
- Possess strong and poised interpersonal and relationship building skills. Ability to work collaboratively and cross-functionally with internal and external parties, serving as a technical resource across teams. Ability to supervise others, encouraging success of team members.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative when needed.
- Experience with databases and artificial intelligence/machine learning.
- Text mining
- Machine Learning
- Information Extraction
- Knowledge Discovery
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
Appointment Status: Full-time academic professional, grant-supported appointment renewable annually pending continued funding and satisfactory progress within the position. Qualified individuals will be eligible to receive vacation, sick, and personal leave; retirement through the State Universities Retirement System; and group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
START DATE: As soon as possible after the close date.
TO APPLY: Applications must be received by June 21, 2021. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Interviews may be conducted prior to the closing date; however, a hiring decision will not be made until after the closing date. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of which details qualifications noted above, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references.
All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. For further information about this specific position, contact Jacinda King ([email protected]). For questions about the application process, please call 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:OVCRI Category:6-Research Title:Research Scientist - MMLI - Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (141041) Open Date:01/15/2021 Close Date:06/21/2021 Organization Name:Institute for Genomic Biology