Posting Number: SRGV4609
Number of Vacancies: 13
Location: Edinburg, Texas
Department: Academic Advising Center
Scope of Job:
Provides collaborative academic advisement and career exploration for current and prospective students. Utilizes data to identify, monitor, and assess students' progress toward degree completion, implementing and evaluating appropriate interventions as needed.
Description of Duties:
• Provides informative and collaborative advising for assigned student populations.
• Teaches students strategies related to academic planning and monitoring, major selection, and academic success.
• Provides routine career guidance to assist students in self-evaluation and choosing a major in relation to their career and life goals.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge about and disseminates information to students regarding University resources, course/ degree options, program admissions criteria and degree completion requirements.
• Uses data and case management skills to identify which students on their caseload are in need of special interventions and conduct that outreach.
• Monitors degree progress of students on their caseload and takes appropriate communication and/or documentation action accordingly.
• Enters data regarding academic advisement services.
• Collaborates with other staff to assess academic advising practices and materials, services and resources with the objective of improving the student experience.
• Maintains a high-level of communication with students and staff. This includes, but is not limited to, the ability to build relationships with students, faculty, staff, and others in the external community.
• Provides presentations for orientations, trainings, university events and activities regarding academic advising, retention initiatives, mentoring and academic success.
• May participate in professional development programming, assessment, and mentoring opportunities which enhance skills and knowledge in academic advisement and related fields.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General supervision from assigned supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in education, psychology or related field.
One (1) year of experience within an education or service-related agency working with college students.
Experience providing academic advisement for college students in a university setting.
Use of standard office equipment.
**Special Note: Positions will be located in Edinburg, TX and in Brownsville, TX.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. UTRGV is a distributed institution, which requires presence at multiple locations throughout the Rio Grande Valley. Work is performed primarily in a general office environment across the Rio Grande Valley.
Ability to use computers for word processing, calendar sharing, emailing, accessing student academic information. Ability to successfully collaborate with faculty, administrators within higher education (i.e. college deans, department chairs, and other administrators, etc.) and professional staff. Strong written/verbal communication, collaboration and presentation skills. Ability to apply current University academic policies and procedures, current academic advisement practices, student academic monitoring and retention efforts. Ability to identify specific student needs and to refer students effectively to available resources. Able to read and interpret state guidelines.
Physical Capabilities: N/A
Employment Category: Full-Time
Minimum Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Posted Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date: 08/21/2020
Grant Funded Position: No
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date:
It is the policy of The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to promote and ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or protected veteran status. In accordance with the requirements of Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964, the title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended, our University is committed to comply with all government requirements and ensures non discrimination in it’s education programs and activities, including employment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or [email protected]
UTRGV is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
All UTRGV employees are required to have a criminal background check (CBC). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
To apply, visit https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/27154
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency