Executive Mgtmt Director-Exec Mgt
Job descriptionJob no: 689948
Work type: Executive Management
Major Administrative Unit / College: Administration
Department: Human Resources 10070642
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Executive Management, Human Resources, Non-Union
Director of Benefits and CompensationPosition Summary
The Director of Benefits and Compensation directs, develops, negotiates, and monitors strategic planning for all employee benefits, including but not limited to health, prescription, dental, life, disability, retirement, Worker’s Compensation, FMLA/leaves, and student insurance. This is accomplished by partnering with key campus stakeholders and on-campus and off-campus Coalitions.
The position also directs the administration of the Support Staff classification and compensation programs.
The Director plans, leads, directs, develops, and coordinates the benefits and compensation team’s policies, activities, and staff, ensuring legal compliance and implementing the benefits and compensation programs and overall strategy.
This position directly supervises the Assistant Director of Benefits, Assistant Director of Compensation/Classification, Manager of the Retirement Program and Manager of Benefits Accounting and Budgeting.
- Advises, consults, and serves as a member of the Human Resources Executive Management team to develop and execute short-term and long-range plans and budgets based on university goals and strategic planning.
- Evaluates and analyzes the results of the programs and services regularly and systematically.
- Reviews and analyzes the benefits market to determine employee needs, trends, regulations, and practices, and develops programs and services to meet strategic goals.
- Establishes and maintains long-term networking relationships and centers of influence through active involvement and participation in business, social, community, and boards or activities.
- Plans and directs the implementation and administration of benefits programs.
- Plans modifications to existing benefits programs.
- Ensures benefits programs comply with current federal, state, and local regulations by studying existing and new legislation, obtaining qualified opinions, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed action.
- Plans and directs the implementation and administration of Support Staff classifications and compensation programs; administers the annual raise process for Support Staff, FAS, and students.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
Bachelors -Human Resources or related fieldMinimum Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field.
- Five years of progressively related experience in an HR leadership role.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Experience working in a shared governance environment.
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential preferred
- CEBS certification preferred
- Strong leadership and team management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Excellent time management skills and ability to plan and set priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to use Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations and compliance requirements related to rewards, including benefits and employee compensation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and ability to interpret and communicate data
Please include a CV or Resume and a cover letter with your application materials.Special Instructions
Review of applications will begin on February 22, 2021 and will continue until the position has been filled.Review of Applications Begins On
The Mission of MSU Human Resources is to support the university's strategic imperatives by anticipating and meeting the needs of a changing community through high-quality, innovative services designed to advance student success and cutting edge research.
The Core Values of our organization are:
Accountability – We hold ourselves and each other accountable to be committed to our mission/roles and to deliver exceptional performance results and professional behavior.
Recognition – We consistently acknowledge each other for our work, accomplishments and the demonstration of behaviors that align with our mission.
Inclusion/Input – We involve and empower each other in problem solving and decision making; we treat people in a manner that they feel valued, respected and appreciated; we share the common understanding that everyone’s thoughts and ideas are welcomed.
Service – We provide exceptional service by delivering responsive, high quality, accessible and innovative customer service with integrity, excellence and compassion.
Effective Communication – We share information openly by establishing two-way communication methods and by communicating respectfully and frequently with customers, peers, supervisors, and leaders.
Ethical Practice - We will maintain the highest levels of personal and professional integrity and act as ethical agents who promote core values, integrity, and accountability throughout the organization.MSU Statement
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Jan 18, 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Jan 17, 2023 Eastern Standard Time