Assistant Director Athletic Communications, Department of Athletics
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-15
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
- Works with internal and external constituents to develop long-term planning and major PR initiatives for assigned Wake Forest athletic programs and ensures that the overall strategic PR program and accompanying messaging are fully integrated with all athletic department initiatives and activities.
- Works closely with all departments to explore, implement and integrate emerging technologies and ideas on social media.
- Works closely with all internal departments (i.e. Communications, Marketing, Video, Ticketing, Boosters, Operations) and team support staff to develop and execute internal and external fan messages for assigned programs.
- Manages and executes the day-to-day and game press operations for assigned sports. Oversee recruitment and management of game administration personnel.
- Public and media liaison for the head coach, student-athletes and assistant coaches of assigned sport.
- Promotes student-athletes to local and hometown media to further positive publicity opportunities.
- Advises student-athletes and coaches in dealing with media representatives.
- Maintains statistics for the assigned sports, ensuring proper distribution of statistics to the media.
- Collects opponent statistical information to assist coaches' scouting efforts.
- Travels with sports teams, as assigned, to handle all media requests and assist in all social content coverage.
- Provides media and opponents' Athletic Communications Sports Information Directors with statistics and other pertinent information.
- Reports results and event information back to local media.
- Coordinates all publicity (press releases, game notes, programs, statistics, and records) for assigned sports. Includes writing feature stories for GoDeacs.com & WFU publications.
- Responsible for the production of sport-specific media guide & record books.
- Additional research projects for football, men’s basketball, etc. will be required.
- Maintains files of news clippings and photos pertaining to various sports events and projects relating to the intercollegiate athletics program. Fulfills background and historical requests concerning former student-athletes.
- Assists the Associate Athletic Director for Athletic Communications on football, men's basketball and other sports as needed.
- Serves as part of the official statistics crew for a number of sports. Includes the setup of the computer statistics program and monitors throughout the press row.
- Works within the budgetary guidelines set up by the Communications office.
- Assists the Associate Athletic Director for Athletic Communications with supervision of student assistants staff.
- Works a variety of athletic events held on campus, including ACC and NCAA championship events as required.
- Maintains a working knowledge of NCAA and ACC rules and regulations and is in compliance with these rules in the course of his or her daily work routine.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree with at least one year of directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally. Limited amount of lifting (boxes, monitors, etc.) and assembling required. Full range of physical activities. Close visual acuity. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions.
- Good working knowledge of the Athletic Communications/sports information profession.
- Knowledge of ACC and NCAA rules as they pertain to Athletic Communications/sports information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Must be proficient in social media platforms promoting the athletic department and its individual sports programs.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, including experience working with members of the media.
- Experience working with computer statistics software, such as Stat Crew and Automated Scorebook. Writing, editing, and proofreading skills with experience in preparing press releases.
- Proficiency in computer skills, including desktop publishing experience using Adobe Creative Suite or other relevant software packages; and Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Valid driver license with good driving record; must be insurable.
Assists staff with mentorship of student volunteers and interns.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.Additional Job DescriptionTime Type RequirementFull timeNote to Applicant:This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.