Executive Director, Finance and Administration, School of Business
Job location: Winston Salem, NC
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-01-15
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
Responsible for operational leadership and management of the school’s administrative and financial operations. Serves as a thought partner with the Chief Administrative Officer to provide financial leadership and insight for the School of Business. Direct areas of responsibility include: budget planning, financial analysis & forecasting, financial operations (accounts payable, procurement, accounts receivable processes), administrative HR processes (hiring, onboarding, salary and payroll administration) and supervision of finance and administrative operations team.Job Description
- Develops financial models and analysis to facilitate strategic decision-making by senior leadership.
- Effectively communicates and presents critical financial matters to the Dean, Chief Administrative Officer, and other members of the Dean’s Council (School of Business Leadership Team).
- Leads the annual planning and budget development process. Plans, drafts, and coordinates approval of the annual budget and multi-year projections, working closely with the Chief Administrative Officer and other members of Leadership. Works with department heads to prepare budgets. Monitors the approved budget through analysis of monthly budget and other reports.
- Sets the Finance and Administrative departmental strategy and manages through direct reports the School’s financial operations (accounts payable/procurement/accounts receivable processes), and administrative operations related to Human Resources (hiring, onboarding, salary, and payroll administration). Directs the daily financial management of all departments within the School of Business.
- Reviews School of Business contracts for goods and services. Coordinates with the Chief Administrative Officer, WFU Procurement, and WFU Legal Department to engage and maintain such contracts. Develops, initiates, and evaluates requests for proposals (RFP) on behalf of the School of Business for goods and services.
- Designs and presents ad hoc financial analyses to Dean, Vice Deans, Chief Administrative Officer and other senior leaders, as requested; performs information research and analysis as needed for special projects, new programs, and ventures in the WFU Schools of Business.
- Manages use of restricted funds, tracks endowment earnings, and ensures that donor terms are honored.
- Serves as School of Business liaison and partners effectively with University Financial Services, and other university-wide shared services.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree plus 10+ years of related experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard accounting principles.
- Ability to provide operational leadership to a complex organizational structure within the University.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community; proven communication skills, both verbally and in writing; ability to convey financial concepts to non-financial professionals.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural questions without the benefit of precedent; and make recommendations to higher management in a coherent manner with supporting arguments.
- Ability to work independently; evidence of good judgment and a high-level problem-solving skills.
- Technical knowledge of fund accounting principles, budget preparation, and fiscal management in an academic environment.
- Knowledge of University practices, policies, and procedures.
- Proficiency in Excel (template development, pivot tables, macros) and Access (creating queries and reports).
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge of related systems (Workday, Adaptive Insights, Cognos, Banner, etc.) or the ability to quickly learn the systems
- Master’s degree strongly preferred with prior experience in Finance or Accounting in higher education.
- Hires, trains, develops and directs finance and administrative operations staff.
- Ensures completion of all orientation and training requirements by direct reports.
- Motivates staff to achieve goals through individual and team supervision, coaching, goal setting, training and staff development, among other strategies.
- Reviews and evaluates staff performance.
- Responsible for the budget planning, financial analysis & forecasting, and financial operations of the School of Business.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce, and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.Additional Job DescriptionTime Type RequirementFull timeNote to Applicant:This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.