IT Support Analyst, Senior (Service Desk)
Job Title: IT Support Analyst, Senior (Service Desk)
Location: Information Tech Services
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 605087
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
This position might require work during evening and weekend hours, and the work schedule can vary somewhat depending on the needs of the department.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This position will work as a member of the Service Desk team in the Information Technology Services Department for Northern Arizona University.
Under general direction of the IT Manager of the ITS Service Desk and the Director of Service Desk and Technology Support Services, this position will provide faculty, staff and student IT support, over the phone, through email and using remote access tools in coordination with the ITS Service Desk during regular, evening and weekend hours, and a rotation of on-call.
- Serve as a senior-level team member assisting leadership with Service Desk operations providing support to on-campus, statewide, national and international students, faculty and staff with university-sanctioned applications, operating systems, Internet, other applications.
- Serve in a senior position as the central point of contact to assist customers with questions and problems via telephone, email, and in person in a 24x7-support structure.
- Serve in a senior position that investigates and provides resolutions for calls that have been escalated from intermediate staff due to the complexity of the issue.
- Work closely with other members of the Service Desk team to provide outstanding customer service to the campus community.
- Prepares detailed documentation and operating instructions for monitored and/or administered systems; documents daily activities, system updates, communication system status to on-coming staff for shift change and develop policies and procedure affecting Service Desk Support Staff for regular hours as well as after-hours and weekends.
- Coordinates Tier 3 Problem/Outage situations between technical and other support team as necessary including escalation for major situations.
- Serve as a major incident coordinator as necessary.
- Supervision of team members; may include assisting other senior level staff, IT Manager and Director with staff evaluations, managing team member workloads, leave approvals in absence of the IT Manager or Director, and the supervision of student workers.
- Perform diagnostics, installation, replacements, and repair on hardware, software, and networking on university owned equipment and on a wide variety of students' PC and Macintosh computers. Monitor and assist student employees who perform these duties.
- Prepare and update Service Desk documentation for the public web site, on campus presentations and internal documentation for the Service Desk knowledgebase.
- Inform and train co-workers on current technologies and solutions to new or ongoing issues.
- Remain current with new technologies that pertain to desktop support in higher education.
- Develop relationships among NAU departments and assist in planning for growth/change as service demands change.
- Typically performs support functions without direct supervision. Responsible for making decisions regarding support issues based on general guidelines.
- Must be sensitive to cultural diversity and accessibility issues to communicate and interact effectively with customers.
- Work closely with the other IT Professionals on campus to resolve issues that arise.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field; AND,
- 3-5 years of relevant experience; OR,
- A combination of related education, experience, and training may be used as an equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Experience in Windows and Macintosh operating systems.
- Experience with NAU supported software packages, including the campus LMS system.
- Experience with GAE (Google Apps for Education).
- Experience with mobile devices.
- Experience with Microsoft Exchange.
- Experience writing technical documentation.
- Experience presenting to large and small groups.
- Project management experience.
- Knowledge of desktop security issues.
- Experience working in a Windows Active Directory environment.
- Experience in providing the highest level of customer service.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize several projects and tasks at a time.
- Ability to work efficiently in a team setting managing multiple tasks and dealing with potentially highly stressful situations.
- Experience working within a culturally diverse environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus and NAU-Fort Defiance as these campuses have on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
February 1, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.