Assistant or Associate Professor in Business Analytics
Job no: 498630
Work type: Instructional Faculty – Tenured/Tenure-Track
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 3 - CFA - California Faculty Association, Tenured/Tenure-Track, Full Time
The Department of Marketing and Business Analytics seeks qualified candidates for a full-time, Assistant or Associate Professor rank position in Business Analytics.
The Department of Marketing and Business Analytics, located in Silicon Valley, is home to a large community of scholars and students. We are a balanced Department, and are searching for candidates who share our dedication to both quality teaching and research. We teach in the areas of marketing and business analytics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Our research includes analytical, behavioral, strategic, and applied methodologies and interests. For more information, visit our website.
The focus is on potential for excellence in teaching and research in Statistics, Data Mining, Data Science, Quantitative Methods, or Business Analytics. Teaching assignments will be at the undergraduate and graduate levels. We particularly encourage applications from historically Underrepresented Minority (URM) Groups.
- Possess a Ph.D. by start of appointment and be academically qualified under AACSB standards.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population as might have been gained in cross-cultural study, training, teaching and other comparable experience.
- Demonstrate the potential to conduct high quality research and publish in peer-reviewed journals on cutting-edge, rigorously examined topics.
- For those with teaching experience, provide evidence of teaching excellence at the university level.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a collegial atmosphere as part of a team.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- A commitment to interact effectively with the business community in Silicon Valley.
- Primary disciplinary needs are in the areas of statistics, business analytics, data mining, data science, and quantitative methods. Secondary needs include prescriptive analytics. Teaching assignments are at both the graduate and undergraduate levels in traditional and accelerated formats.
- Candidate must be actively engaged in scholarly activities evidenced by: publishing in peer-reviewed journals, presenting professional papers, and developing grants.
- Candidate will participate in shared governance, usually in department, college, and university committee and other service assignments.
- Candidate must demonstrate awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through inclusive course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Compensation - Commensurate with qualifications and experience. See Benefits Summary for details.
Starting Date - August 17, 2021
Eligibility - Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
For full consideration, apply by February 28, 2021. Screening of candidates will begin March 1, 2021, but the position remains open until filled. Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- letter of interest
- curriculum vitae
- diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) statement that demonstrates your experience/commitment to DEI professionally and/or personally
- statement of teaching interests/philosophy that addresses your values, goals and beliefs regarding teaching and learning and how those align with a diverse and multicultural student body.
- research plans
- three references with contact information
Inquiries may be directed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. David Czerwinski at: [email protected].
San José State University enrolls over 35,700 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. As such, this position is for scholars interested in a career at a national leader in graduating URM students. SJSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander (AANAPISI) Serving Institution; 40% of our students are first-generation, and 38% are Pell-qualified. The university is currently ranked third nationally in increasing student upward mobility. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students, and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. Located in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000) in the heart of Silicon Valley, SJSU is part of one of the most innovative regions in the world. As Silicon Valley’s public university, SJSU combines dynamic teaching, research, and university-industry experiences to prepare students to address the biggest problems facing society. SJSU is a member of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Advertised: January 15, 2021 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time