Job location: Washington State University Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
280-NN - Associate Professor
Faculty Open Rank - Experimental Physics
270-NN - Assistant Professor
Washington State University
College of Arts and Sciences
Institute for Shock Physics
Faculty - Academic - Not OT Eligible
The Institute for Shock Physics (ISP) is a multidisciplinary research organization, within the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) at Washington State University (WSU), with an emphasis on understanding condensed matter response at extreme conditions. We are seeking to hire an outstanding individual in the area of Dynamic Compression Science for a Faculty position. The Institute seeks an experimentalist with exceptional promise for, or proven record of, research achievements, and the ability to contribute to the ISP’s role as the pre-eminent academic research organization in the field. The faculty rank (Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor) is open and will be determined based on the applicant’s qualifications, record of achievements, and scientific stature.
The individual hired will be expected to develop a strong, externally-funded research program in dynamic compression science, teach undergraduate and graduate courses in Physics, and guide the research activities of graduate students and postdocs. This is a permanent, full-time, academic year (9 month), tenure-track or tenured position – located on the WSU Pullman campus – with the possibility of joint appointment in the Department of Physics & Astronomy. Additionally, there exist excellent opportunities for collaborations with faculty at partner universities (Princeton University, California Institute of Technology, and Stanford University), and scientists at the DOE/NNSA and DoD Laboratories.
Only applicants who are eligible to work in the U.S. and meet the following required qualifications will be considered for the position.
- Earned PhD in Physics, or a related field, and a strong experimental record in dynamic compression science.
- Outstanding research credentials as demonstrated by peer reviewed publications and scientific achievements/stature – commensurate with the faculty rank.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, and the interest/ability to develop and manage an independent research program.
- Strong interest and ability to guide graduate students and postdocs.
Tenure Track: Yes
Position Term in months: 9-month
City, State, Zip: Pullman, WA 99164
Department: Institute for Shock Physics
Department Link: shock.wsu.edu
Background Check: Yes, this position has been determined to require a background check.
Screening Begin Date: February 1, 2021
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The following materials should be included in your application package.
- Cover letter summarizing your scientific accomplishments and vision for your research program at ISP;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Research Statement (limit 5 pages);
- Teaching philosophy statement (limit 2 pages); and
- Contact information for 3 - 5 professional references.
Please note there are several optional documents to upload. Please upload only the below documents in the following sections:
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae (in Application Questions 1 of 3 under "Cover Letter")
- Research Statement (in Applications Question 3 of 3 under "Research Statement)
- Teaching Philosophy Statement (in Applications Question 3 of 3 under "Teaching Statement")
- Contact information for 3 - 5 professional references (in Applications Question 3 of 3 under "Professional References")
Posting Close Date (If empty, open until filled):
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER. Members of ethnic minorities, women, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam-era, recently separated veterans, and other protected veteran, persons of disability and/or persons age 40 and over are encouraged to apply.
WSU employs only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized non-U.S. citizens. All new employees must show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
WSU is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact Human Resource Services: 509-335-4521 (v), Washington State TDD Relay Service: Voice Callers: 1-800-833-6384; TDD Callers: 1-800-833-6388, 509-335-1259(f), or email@example.com.