Senior Nurse Practitioner
Senior Nurse Practitioner
Posting Number: S01498
Provides advanced-level, age-appropriate general medical care, evaluation, treatment and health care maintenance services to college students with a wide range of health concerns. Performs Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner exams. *May also provide health promotion coaching to improve health and wellness for benefits-eligible College faculty and staff.
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
- Provides acute medical care including but not limited to: respiratory illness, musculoskeketal injury, gastrointestinal disorders, dermatological conditions, gynecological conditions, medication prescription and management, and a variety of infections and systemic illnesses.
- Provides care for physical manifestations of stress when appropriate, such as temporary sleep disturbances and reassurance that physical symptoms are not serious or life-threatening.
- Provides health care maintenance including but not limited to: routine physicals for students in study abroad programs, travel medicine consults and immunizations, annual gynecological exams, contraceptive counseling and management and ongoing education related to prevention of illness and promotion of health.
- Orders and reviews lab work and x-rays and devises treatment plans based on results.
- Evaluates and treats students in emergencies in the absence of physician.
- Performs a variety of on-site lab tests.
- Provides SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) services as part of the Middlebury College -Porter Hospital SANE group.
- Consults and collaborates with the College physician, Training Room staff, Commons deans, Counseling staff, and students’ home providers, when appropriate.
- Provides support to on-campus mental health care providers for short-term medication treatment.
- Provides information and consults with parents when needed.
- Documents and updates information in students’ health records.
- Admits students to the health center for day observation when their condition warrants, evaluates/directs their care, discharges them when appropriate.
- Refers students to on-campus and Middlebury area resources when needed.
- Provides consultation for staff including during the early evening and weekend hours via telephone when needed.
- Assists in developing and revising flow sheets and protocols as needed.
- Participates in periodic health center and campus-wide meetings.
- Presents health related information to campus groups when requested.
- May be asked to utilize an existing health and wellness program that incorporates motivational interviewing, stages of change theory and safe practices around exercise and positive lifestyle change (nutrition, physical activity, emotional well-being, smoking cessation, community engagement).
- May be asked to participate on the Optimal Health Initiative Committee and works with that group to enhance wellness initiatives for faculty and staff across campus.
- May be asked to utilize up-to-date screening tools to assess client cardiovascular risk, requiring medical risk assessment and clearance for physical activity by a client’s personal physician as necessary.
- May be asked to create community-based wellness groups (i.e. a morning walking group, evening meditation group, etc) based on client needs and preferences.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- MS degree in nursing with adult or family nurse practitioner specialty
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse in the state of Vermont
- Certification: National Certification maintained through ongoing continuing education.
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner certification or willingness to be trained.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and comfort with evaluation and treatment of musculo-skeletal injuries
- Knowledge of and comfort with collaboration with mental health care providers including short-term medication treatment
- Must have strong women’s health care skills.
- Experience performing pre-travel exams and immunization assessments is preferable.
- Active CPR Certification
- Active DEA Registration
- Proficiency with Dragon Naturally-speaking voice recognition software
- Proficiency with Banner, Microsoft suite. Comfort with electronic medical software
- Scheduling flexibility
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- 6-10 years of experience is preferable.
- Knowledge of and comfort with adult cardiovascular risk assessment and safe practices around exercise and positive lifestyle change is desirable.
- Knowledge and comfort with health coaching techniques is desirable.
Appropriate for office work and college campus activities.
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background check. Information on our background check policy can be found here: http://go.middlebury.edu/backgroundchecks
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/22581
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from across the United States and around the world. Middlebury encourages applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of other protected classes and historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency