Staff Research Physicist in Heliophysics
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL) seeks outstanding candidates for a position in the Princeton Center for Heliophysics (https://heliophysics.princeton.edu). The successful candidate will play a leading role in the development and application of multi-fluid global simulation codes for modeling planets in the heliosphere and exoplanets. In addition, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct research and collaborate with associated research programs at PPPL including fusion theory and experiments, high-energy-density physics, and reconnection physics on the FLARE facility.Responsibilities
- Develop multi-fluid global simulation code for modeling planets and exoplanets and apply them for space weather studies.
- Establish scientific linkages to associated theoretical and experimental research at PPPL
- Publish and present research in peer reviewed journals and at professional conferences.
- Lead and collaborate in developing grant applications.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in plasma physics, space science, or related field is required.
- At least two years of postdoctoral research experience.
- Proven ability in securing grants as Principal Investigator (PI) and supporting up to 50% of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with scientific programming in a high-performance computing environment.
- Experience with global MHD and/or multi-fluid simulation codes is preferred.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoEstimated Appointment End Date2/1/2026Physical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver's License RequiredNo #LI-CL1